Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ok got it together...got noise now!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok got it together...got noise now!?

Thanks to the guys that gave me pointers on the "torque" specs of my pinion and carrier bolts. I got it together tonight put all new bearings in had 25 in/lbs. of resistance on the pinion etc. Took it out for a test drive and everything sounded fine untill I got it up to around 55 or above and then let off. On deceleration I have a slight gear noise. Driving around town I don't just a highway speeds. Now I don't know if that whine was there before I tore it apart and I couldn't hear it because of a bad wheel bearing etc. Have any of you had this happen? If you have any pointers I would appreciate it. It's the stock rearend in my 99 Z28.

RF
Old 10-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Any guesses?
Old 10-28-2004, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Did you check contact pattern and backlash?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it gear whine? If it is you could have acidentally switched the shims and that would give +or- backlash.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:50 AM
Teching In

RoadHazard, I was under the impression that I didn't need to being I was only removing and replacing bearings and the pinion seal. That if I got the "crush" right on the pinion and the in/lb. rotational "drag" (bearing preload) right that I'd be ok. Man I really screwed up. The sounds getting worse so am going back into it tomorrow. I'm going to get it right if it kills me!

Richie, You mean the shims on the sides of the carrier bearings? I made sure that they stayed the same as I took them out. It is a gear whine. When I first put it together it was only above 55 when I would let off, but now it is even starting to do it around town.

Maybe should have just let the shop do it, but didn't want to spend that kind of coin and wanted to learn something!

RF
Old 11-03-2004, 02:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rat Fink
RoadHazard, I was under the impression that I didn't need to being I was only removing and replacing bearings and the pinion seal. That if I got the "crush" right on the pinion and the in/lb. rotational "drag" (bearing preload) right that I'd be ok. Man I really screwed up. The sounds getting worse so am going back into it tomorrow. I'm going to get it right if it kills me!
I didn't know what you were trying to do. Anyway you said you wasn't sure if the whine was there before. That's why I suggested you should check the backlash and contact pattern because they are mostly causes of gear whines.

In this case did you replace the crush sleeve? If you use an in-lb torque wrench to torque it down to spec, you should replace the crush sleeve. Otherwise you can do without by marking where the pinion nut used to be and trying to get the nut back to same spot.