Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which Driveshaft should I choose???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Driveshaft should I choose???

I can't decide betwen Driveshafts. Ultimately quality and price will be my main concerns when choosing a brand, but which kind is best for my application.

Mainly street driven, but will frequent the 1/4mile - maybe 40 runs a year.

I have a vibration above 75 mph, that makes me feel the aluminum or CF would be the best choice, but I plan on MT DR's, McLeod twin disk, and headers in the spring. I want to be able to dump the clutch with high RPM's when I launch at the drag strip. Keep in mind I want to eliminate the whirl / "jump rope" effect of the DS at high RPM's

3.5" Carbon Fiber

3.5" Aluminum

3.5" Chromemoly

Will a CF or Aluminum DS handle side stepping the clutch?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got a dennys nitrous ready DS, guarranteed for life. The carbon fiber is expensive and could 'broom' on you if something hits it (ie road debris, exaust, etc). Aluminum is weak, if you plan on modding fairly heavy its not the best choice.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you could probably go with a 3.5" HD aluminum. Should be plenty strong with bolt ons probably up to 400hp or so.

CF I am a bit skeptical on it holding up to hard launches repeatedly. The ends are glued on. Good choice for the road racers though.

I think if you go with Chromolly you could do a 3" (which is what I did) and I was told the 3" chormolly is even overkill for my setup - but I'll take overkill to breaking stuff anyday.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking about the 3.5" CM MW DS. It will help the resonance frequency of the driveline and recuce vibration and still be strong as hell. Would this be to much? after the DS, clutch, and headers this spring. I plan on H/C and 100 shot of N2O.