Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Please help i've made a big mistake "Moser 12 bolt"

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help i've made a big mistake "Moser 12 bolt"

I've press on the bearing onto both of the axles without the brake backing plates. Could anyone tell me if I could press back off the bearings or would I have to order new bearings/axle? I wish I would have gotten the information from fbody.com "install 12 bolt Moser" sooner!! A newbie still.

Last edited by 1fastV8; 10-27-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get them off, but not sure if they will be any good afterwards, depends on whether you can get a bearing puller on the inner race or you have to pull on the outer race. It will probably take a long set of threaded rod and a bearing puller.

Good luck !
Old 10-27-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TRex
You can get them off, but not sure if they will be any good afterwards, depends on whether you can get a bearing puller on the inner race or you have to pull on the outer race. It will probably take a long set of threaded rod and a bearing puller.

Good luck !
Me and my friends use a presser at school to press them on. Do you think I could use the presser again to get them off?
Old 10-27-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Best and easiest way is just to cut them off, and get another set of bearings. More than likely you will ruin them if you try to press them off. It's also not the safest.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need what is called a bearing separator. Like this:

http://www.jackxchange.com/products/W93275.cfm

This goes behind the bearing and threaded rods go into the faces of it. You can then put a metal strap between the two threaded rods, and a hydraulic jack between the strap and the end of your axle. As you pump on the jack it will push the axle out of the bearing (since the seperator/rod/strap assembly is holding it in place).

You could also take it to a 4x4 shop and have them take them off for your. They are usually very used to removing and replacing axle bearings.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TRex
You need what is called a bearing separator. Like this:

http://www.jackxchange.com/products/W93275.cfm

This goes behind the bearing and threaded rods go into the faces of it. You can then put a metal strap between the two threaded rods, and a hydraulic jack between the strap and the end of your axle. As you pump on the jack it will push the axle out of the bearing (since the seperator/rod/strap assembly is holding it in place).

You could also take it to a 4x4 shop and have them take them off for your. They are usually very used to removing and replacing axle bearings.
Thanx for the advice. I talked to one of the shops yesterday and yes they are experts at taking them off.