Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Technician Baffeled

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Technician Baffeled

Last month I took the T/A into the dealership with a noisey rear-end. It is under the GM 12 month 12,000 warranty on dealership repairs 'cause they overhauled it last Nov.
The noise sounded like the left rear axle bearing to me and I told the service writer as much.
Well, they tore it apart, replaced the gear set, the bearings, etc and put it back together and the noise was still there.
So, they ordered a new housing, yes, a complete rear-end housing, put it all back together and the noise is STILL there.
As of today, it's all apart again and the service writer cannot tell me if the axle bearing was changed.
This dealership has always been good and has a reputation of taking care of the customer but my confidence is quickly disappearing.
I left GM before the torsen era so I'm stumpped!
Any other ideas?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

axle shaft? if axle bearing was screwed up, it could damage your axle shaft surface...
Old 10-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Teching In

I agree with firechicken. That's what happened to mine. Have fun.

RF
Old 10-28-2004, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Exclamation

I've been trying to convince them that the problem is the axle bearing/axle but it seems to fall on deaf ears.
Update: Just got off the phone and the car is done! They found; Bad rear u-joint, a bad bearing in connection with the locking unit AND!!!! a bad left rear axle bearing.

Last edited by A BAD T/A; 10-28-2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

sounds like they were guessing until they found the cause. what did they replace last?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

When all was said and done; first, they found too much 'back lash' in the ring/pinion alighment and also replaced the left axle bearing. Noise still there.
So, they tore it down again and replaced the carrier bearings and the complete rear end housing. Noise still there. They also determined that the "limited-slip unit" was slipping.
Finally, they tore it down for the third time and "found the new left rear axle bearing" F*'d-up, so, replaced it and found the left axle pitted. (Doh, wonder what tore up the bearing?) Replaced left axle and the rear u-joint.
The noises are gone --- for now! We just ran down to Memphis and it's great.
I wound up with three pages of work order describing their work with a bottom line of $0.00! AND a new, 12,000 mi/1yr warranty on the work.