Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" with Alum. center section for street?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" with Alum. center section for street?

Just like the title says, How would a 9" with an alum center section be on the street? The car is not a daily driver, but a weekend/track car so I want to keep it light and was wondering if anyone uses the alum. one on the street?

Dan
Old 11-01-2004, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Any thoughts? I would like to order my 9" today so if you have any input on this that would be great, thanks a lot.

Dan
Old 11-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, aluminum can be used on the street, but it will deflect more, which is why people do not recommend them for daily driver purposes, because you'll most likely have premature bearing wear. Not saying it will happen, just saying it could. It sounds like for your purposes, you'd be fine. I just wouldn't use one on a daily driver that sees a lot of miles. You'd probably have to rebuild the rear a few more times than you'd like.

Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 06:59 PM
9 Second Club

I went with the cast iron center thinking since it's stronger & on an F-Body the center has the TA attached to it so there is more stress than usual.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark98SS
I went with the cast iron center thinking since it's stronger & on an F-Body the center has the TA attached to it so there is more stress than usual.
The torque arm doesn't attach to the center section.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Sure, aluminum can be used on the street, but it will deflect more, which is why people do not recommend them for daily driver purposes, because you'll most likely have premature bearing wear. Not saying it will happen, just saying it could. It sounds like for your purposes, you'd be fine. I just wouldn't use one on a daily driver that sees a lot of miles. You'd probably have to rebuild the rear a few more times than you'd like.

Steve
I street mine every day, with a spool also. Can you explain a little more on this deflecting you speak of. We are talking about the third member right? I would like hear more.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:24 PM
14 Second Truck Club

When you apply power to the rear the ring gear doesnt want to turn because of traction from the tires. So the first reaction of the pinion when it cant turn the ring gear is to twist and push away from the ring and upward. An iron case is better at holding the pinion exactly where it needs to be. Also, the 9" pinion is held by 3 bearings rather than the normal 2, so deflection is still controlled somewhat. You can use a iron pinion support with the aluminum 3rd member, which will help control the deflection some. I would say that an aluminum center would be fine for about 500 whp for a good while. The more power you put to it, the less time it will last.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
The torque arm doesn't attach to the center section.
Shows you what I know, looked like it does, I'm pulling the center next weekend so I woulda found out. Oh well, another theory shot in the ***...
Old 11-03-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark98SS
Shows you what I know, looked like it does, I'm pulling the center next weekend so I woulda found out. Oh well, another theory shot in the ***...
The torque arm bracket doesn't need to come all the way off when you pull your center. It looks like it does, but what I do is leave the top bolt in, but loose, and take the lower two bolts out. You can then slide the mount out of the way to get the center out. This way, you don't have to take your torque arm out. Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

In my next 9in i will use a Aluminum center and the lighter weight ring and pinion. With the Iron center and regular parts the MFer is Heavy.