Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What is Involved in Converting a 3 Channel to 4 Channel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is Involved in Converting a 3 Channel to 4 Channel?

As the title states what do I need to covert a 3 channel rear to a 4 channel. My rear end is currently a 4 channel but the one I am going to purchase is only a three channel and since I'd like to retain traction control I want to convert the new rear to a 4 ch. Do all I need to do is swap my axles w/ reluctors and backing plates into the new rear to make it work?

Thanks,
Brett
Old 11-27-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

We're about to swap a 3 channel 10-bolt into my car today. (It's a 4 channel car but my 10-bolt is making lots of noise and about ready to go boom.) As far as I know...we'll just need to swap the backing plates over. We've got the axles with the 3 channel rear...so I think we'll be just mounting my backing plates on those. (I've got a buddy who has done rear swaps before helping me.) I can post up more later today or tomorrow to let you know exactly what we did.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks I appreciate it. But I am of the understanding that a 3 ch. axle lacks the reluctor ring to enable traction control so a/ you need to have them pressed off your old axles and on the new ones or b/swap axles in the housing.
I don't know if this is true thats why I posting but I do look forward to hearing how your install goes.

Brett
Old 11-30-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Ended up doing the install on sunday. Pulled my 4 channel rear down. Took the brakes off, etc. Opened it up to see what damage there was..etc...got the two c-clips. Pullled the axles. Took off the backing plates. Put the backing plates onto the 3 channel rear. Put my axles into the 3 channel rear. Reassembled everything else and back into the car it went.

And you're right, if we didn't reuse my 4 channel axles, we would have had to press a set of reluctor rings onto the 3 channel axles.

Took us about 3 hours including a dinner break...and two of the three of us there had never done a rear swap before.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Brett, I'm just up the road, and I'll be in Windsor next weekend picking up the headers I bought off Roman's car. I've got a 4-channel rear in my car and the exact opposite problem, it's a non-TCS car and I want a 3-channel rear. Perhaps we could work something out? Drop me a PM and let me know.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

One thing to remember.....make sure the 3 channel you are installing still has the sensor (or a plug) on top center of the rear. If not you might have some fluid comming out of there. The 4 channel won't have this sensor or hole there.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

I have no problem switching rear ends with you but what gear ratio do you have?

Is your car still on the road? If you want to drive it down we can swap the rears in my garage or just pull it ahead of time and we can make the switch. If you want I can get the headers from Roman and bring them here. It will save you 1/2 an hour of driving each way.