Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Soft Locker?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" Soft Locker?

I am going to need to replace my rear end in the near future, I want to go with a 9" Detroit soft locker, don't want a spool or posi. Can someone tell me exactly waht I need to order from Strange preferably or Moser? I now have a 4channel 10 bolt. Also what about brakes and keeping ABS, I don't care about TCS. I've used the search feature and can't find specifically what to order.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

I have a 31spline Locker for a nine inch. It fits a 3.250 case. Has 2000 miles on it.
I ended up putting a spool in its place.

If you are interrested I will take 175 plus shipping.

Brad
Old 11-28-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

SP, thanks anyway I'm looking for the soft locker and really would like to stick with new parts.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry man I did not answer your question,

With 4 Channel abs you will be able to keep your ABS/TCS with the nine inch as the reluctors are on the axles instead of one on the diff.

Personally I don't like moser as I twisted one of their 31 spine Axles without alot of effort.

Are you planning on building this thing yourself or do you want it assembled?

Detroit is making a new diff that is very strong that is similar to the torsen.
Its called the True Trac. If it were availiable when I built my rear end then i would have chosen it.

I am running a custom Fabbed housing from Billingsley with a Strange S-series nodular center section, 35 spline S/T spool, 35 spline strange S/T axles. This thing is bomb proof. Shoot Jay an email and let him know what you are lookin for. He is great to do bussiness with.

BRIsales@aol.com
Web Site http://www.billingsleyracing.biz/

Brad
Old 11-28-2004, 10:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on that True Trac, i talked to the mfg. before i ordered my 9", and was told that a true Detroit Locker is actually stronger than the True Trac. so that's what i got. and something must have been up with that axle if you twisted it with ease. i am putting my Moser 9" up for sale later today when i go to work to take a couple pics of it. i would LOVE to keep it, but i need the money to finish paying for my new motor before X-mas or i will lose my d/p. if you're interested, here's the specs:

Moser 9" narrowed 2"/side (painted black)
Moser aluminum center section
Detroit Locker
35 spline axles
3.70 gears
ABS/TCS
3" race studs
Drain and fill plugs/bungs
BMR LCA relocation brackets (black, not welded on yet)
Aerospace backing plates - either run Aerospace brakes or replace with stock or other
1350 joint
Assembled using stainless steel washers and nuts
New -- Never installed!
cost me $2800.00 not including shipping. selling for $2400.00 + shipping. (not more than $125 or i'll cover the overage)

you'll be hard pressed to find a stronger rear for the price new. if there is even one out there. let me know what you think because like i said, it's going up for sale tonight.

thanks,
Dave

Last edited by PRAY HRD; 11-28-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Thats a good deal on that rear end.

Brad
Old 11-28-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys, what I'm trying to determine, and I haven't called Tractech yet, but is the Truetrac differential the same as the Detroit soft locker? The Truetrac on the web site appears to be a Torsen. The differential I want is what Pro Stock John is running and he calls it a Tractech soft locker. To me it's not a locker at all. Clarification?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:04 PM
14 Second Truck Club

A soft locker is the same as a Detroit Locker, just with a dampening spring to quiet it down. The true track is similar in design to a Torsen, and is not as strong as a Locker.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the information. So far I've looked at over 1,000 threads in this section and not one has has made mention of the spring. Is is correct then, that I would be better off with the soft locker than the Truetrac Torsen? The car is for street and strip once a month, with 4,000 RPM launches.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

The locker will be stronger for track use than a True Trac. Most of the Detroit Locker line has been switched over to the Soft locker design, so most applications are only available one way or the other.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Restricted User

Damn Dave (PRAY HRD) why you got to go an sell the rear after I spent the Christmas $? Damn it. That would have been perfect, especially seeings how my stock rear end lost some pieces to the differential......hmmm maybe the POS 10bolt @ full weight + Slicks @ 1.4 60' pulling front tires in the A4 + Nitrous isnt that good of an idea? Well it lasted WELL over 600 runs in about 16months...R.I.P's.

Thats a damn good deal biddsz!
Old 11-29-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's definitely not a bad deal, but the timing is not right for me. I have to wait until after the first of the year or I'll end up in divoirce court. By the way is that differential a soft locker? I may have another guy that's interested.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

I got the 9" with a locker and kept the TCS. If I had to do it over again I would have tried to ditch it to save a few $$$. With a locker and TCS on your car will hate you when that thing locks and unlocks and I now find myself just turning it off every time I get in the car anyway (not just at the track or when having some fun )

I guess I kept it in case I couldn't stand the locker and wanted to switch out the center section. So I guess in a way there is a pro to getting it as well... still don't know if it is worth the extra cash.

ABS I def wanted to keep and that doesn't seem to F'up at all.

They take a bit of getting used to and at this point driving it with the H/C into a parking garage with really tight turns (at work) is scary not only for me but the people walking around that think the bucking is going to kill them as well

In most cases I've learned how to prevent or deal with the locks with the throttle but I can't master the damn parking garage that's for sure.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:32 PM
9 Second Club

no bigdsz.........it's a standard Detroit Locker. i need all the streangth i can get short of a spool, which i'll likely get anywan when i get another rear when the motor is paid for. wasn't planning on making 1500hp when i bought the Moser.

Johhny 5.......i was told i couldn't get ABS without TCS. can't have one without the other. not sure if that's correct, but i had no reason to question Moser.

later,
Dave
Old 11-30-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Johnny5 do you have a soft locker? I'm going to go with the soft locker in a Strange center section with Moser housing and axles. Strange does not have a drop in housing.

Your comment about hating the TCS is valid, unfortunately it's a necessary evil if you want ABS. SLP has a TCS reverser that always keeps the TCS off instead of on. I've had it for 4 years and it works perfectly. The only problem is it's a rip off at $50-60. I think I stuck it in an air conditioning duct you'd never know it's there.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

they auto-off TCS thing is probably a very good thing... but I guess for 50-60 I'll just hit the button when it pisses me off for now

According to the documentation I have an actual Detroit Locker (NoSpin) and not a soft-locker.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:29 PM
9 Second Club

i've got the TCS auto-off at start up too, and i love it. i had forgotten more than once to turn it off, and if you haven't done it yet, it's embarassing! with all the other cash i've spent on the car, it wasn't a big deal.

Dave
Old 12-01-2004, 11:00 PM
14 Second Truck Club

The soft locker is a regular detroit locker. Most applications are either one or the other. The regular 31 spline is a soft locker for the last 6 years or so. Some apllications are still the old style. If the part number has a "SL" in the middle of the part number it is a soft locker, like 187SL17B which is the 31 spline 9". There is no strength difference between the two.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:22 PM
9 Second Club

then if the sl is only for a 31 spline setup, perhaps that is what the mfg. meant, since mine is a big 35 spline unit. could that be the difference in strength?

Dave
Old 12-01-2004, 11:32 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Yeah, the 35 spline is not a soft locker, and is not available as one. The soft locker doesnt make a strength differemce, but the 35 spline makes a big damn difference.