Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear-end help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear-end help

I recently purchased my 02 Z28 w/ 45K on the clock and here later the rear-end whinin seems to have gotten louder/worse. It first started noticing the noise when I leave work and go to make the first turn(to the right) heading out of the plant, after work. Then, once the dope warms up, the noise is not so bad until you hit the interstate, doing 'bout 70-80mph. Then, you have to really crack up the head unit to just hear over the howlin. The noise like I said, appears to be coming mainly from the right side. As in that first turn headin out of the plant. Where must of the car's weight is on the left side.

I've read a couple of the thread on noisy rear-end and seen where some have suggested this is normal for the f-bodies. But, my now totaled '98 TransAm never sounded like this. Course, it was a M6 not a A4 like the Z28 and the T/A had the 3.42's not the 2.73's. Don't know if, that would make a different or not.

What have you guys experience out there, w/ the A4/2.73's???? I'm starting to think it's a bad (right side)wheel bearing. Course, it may be a bad pinion bearing, like one of the other guys mentioned in another thread. I just don't see it having the same effect on the right side sound(wheel).

TIA,
Don
The 'REAL' Beast's homepage
Old 12-04-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if your rear is howling you can bet its on its way out.

did you check your fluid level?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Of course, I've check the level. I've even thought about changing the fluid. But, I'm lookin to correct the main problem/issue or the same time w/ the fluid change.

Anyhoo, the term 'howlin' may just be too inaccurate. It' more like a whining/rourin nosie. That's just coming from the right side, as best as I can tell, and the noise changes patch when your cornering to the right. Where the weight disposition shifts over more to the left side of the car more. I located a thread over @ LS1.com in which I think the guy(s) over there maybe having the same issue that, I'm having w/ my rear-end.

LS1.com Thread

Thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same issue that you have as well as a constant grinding noise. The CD player could not play loud enough to cover up all the racket. It worked fine, but you had to wear ear plugs. This is absolutely no exageration.

The repair would have cost about $750 and the odds of the problem reocurring was close to 100%. I decided to go with a Strange 12 bolt and 4.11's. I' still breaking in the new rear. I've got a little over 700 miles on the new unit. At 1,000 miles I'll take the cover off and clean out the rear. After that it's time to play.

The 12 bolt is vert quiet. You can hear a little gear whine on acceleration, but really not much. The move from 3.42's to 4.11's is a large step up. The change in acceleration is dramatic, a lot of fun. I'm still getting 20.3 mpg too.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Good idea, Noah89. I have been wanting to step up to the 3.42. But, I've just been thinking about so far, thro I have aquired a set of the 3.42 gear. I just haven't gotten the opportunity to pick-up on a 3-series carrier, yet. Maybe the Strange rear-end would be an option.

Anyhoo, @ this point I haven't really done anything w/ solusion w/ the stock 2.73. Just trying to get some ideas on how or what needs to be done hopefully, about the axle bearing.

Thanks for the reply,
Don