Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone running the Strange PRG230 Drag rear with spool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone running the Strange PRG230 Drag rear with spool?

I'm planning on getting a Strange 12-bolt rear end with my tax returns, and stumbled on a thread about the Strange drag racing lightweight 12-bolts with aluminum or steel spools. The idea of a 12-bolt that's lighter than a 10-bolt has me

Does anyone have one of these, and do you use it on the street?
I read that they're not recommended for street use. Is that just because of the way they handle, or can the aluminum spool not handle the twisting from turning corners all the time?

I also heard they only come without ABS/TCS provisions. Anyone know why?
Different sized axles or something?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 12-05-2004, 01:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC I think you have to warm up the Alum spool before using it. That is why they dont suggest using it on the street.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:25 AM
TECH Resident

No spool will ever be recommended for the street. The tires are, more or less, locked together and can not turn at different rates. This makes for tire squealing, popping, bouncing everytime you go around a slow corner because the outer tire can not turn faster than the inner tire. As far as light weight goes, I have not seen the add, but would be willing to gamble that it is just the spool and possibly the axles that are lighter.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exclamation

I`m actually waiting for mine to be sent back to me as we speak. (They didn`t narrow my housing) I had originally ordered mine with the alum. spool option. But after talking with a Strange rep. after mine came back "un-narrowed", he mentioned that the alum. spool is a "wearable" part (like Pro Street gears) and that I might get a season out of it. I was not aware of this and asked if when they reassembled my PRG230 that they install a steel spool. I`m spending that kind of money on a rear end so that I can change the fluid a few times a season AND NOT HAVE TO EVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT OTHERWISE!! (Hence the reason I didn`t order Pro Street gears.)
As for the lack of ABS/TCS provisions, the PRG230 is a "Drag Race" assembly, and Strange, like most people, probably feel that if you are buying a rear with a spool, Pro race axles, etc., your ABS/TCS was deleted long ago.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's fair enough. I can see the arguement about the TCS/ABS thing. And I kinda wondered how aluminum would handle that kind of task. Now I know. I guess, I've seen quite a few people using spools on the street, and it's kind of an acquired taste. I'd prefer not to need one, but would really like to consider any rotational weight savings I could incorporate into this rear. Do you think Strange would put, for example, a lightweight gearset or chrome-moly yoke or any other weight reducing options in a PRG210?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Do you think Strange would put, for example, a lightweight gearset or chrome-moly yoke or any other weight reducing options in a PRG210?
I don`t see why the wouldn`t but I don`t remember seeing those kind of options for the PRG210`s but I really didn`t look. I`m kinda looking toward the future with my decision to go full spool. I like the idea of staying GM and the light weight factor and it was, by most accounts, fairly inexpensive in comparison. Plus, my car only has 2,600 miles on it, so it obviously doesn`t see the street too much.

As a matter of fact, mine just showed up today!

Quick Reply: Anyone running the Strange PRG230 Drag rear with spool?