Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stripped torque arm bolts.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stripped torque arm bolts.

Well i kept hearing a rattle underneath the car. I then noticed that my torque arm bolts that are going into the diff housing are halfway out. (i also heard a popping sound when taking sharp turns sometimes. Im pretty sure that this is the noise of bolts backing out.) I went underneath the car to tighten them up only to dissapointment.....they never tightened. I cant even get them back out. I have just bolts that turn and go nowhere. I need a solution for this. I have a 97 model by the way(older style), being i think that LS1 cars had studs. Any help would be cool.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you're talking about the 2 big bolts that go through the torque arm and diff housing: they are through bolts right? With a nut on the end? Maybe you're just spinning the bolt/nut. You need to get a wrench up on top of the housing and a wrench below.

edit: I don't know the torque specs, I just tightened the crap out of them.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

No on 97 model they do not have a nut on the end of both them. They are bolts that go upward into the rear end housing.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm... Maybe try and post over at www.camaroz28.com forum.

They've got a pretty active drivetrain section and the site has members with all model year f-bodies. I bet someone over there will be familiar with the problem.

Good luck