Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle studs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle studs?

I'm getting a new 9" with a Moser Housing. As I understand it OEM studs are 12mm and 2" long, I'm not certain of the length. The 1/2" x 2" x 20 studs are supposed to be much stronger, but I want to continue to use my 10 spoke wheels. Are there any 1/2" lug nuts that will accept the black plastic screw on covers? If not what do I do so the set up doesn't look like sh*t?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe some of the Chevrolet or GMC pick-ups or Vans use what you need. Check w/your GM Parts man. WJ
Old 12-19-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

I am going with a similar set up (Moser housing/axles, Strange center section/gears from Billingsley Racing) and I am using the ARP metric replacement studs. They are supposed to be a little longer so that they satisfy NHRA/IHRA tech officials, but can still use the stock lugs on the factory wheels.
Originally Posted by bigdsz
I'm getting a new 9" with a Moser Housing. As I understand it OEM studs are 12mm and 2" long, I'm not certain of the length. The 1/2" x 2" x 20 studs are supposed to be much stronger, but I want to continue to use my 10 spoke wheels. Are there any 1/2" lug nuts that will accept the black plastic screw on covers? If not what do I do so the set up doesn't look like sh*t?
Old 12-19-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I assume the replacement studs you are talking about are 12mm, do you know how long they are? How is their strength compared to the 1/2" Studs? I'll Check out the ARP web site, are you getting them from a sponsor or is Moser going to install them? I really appreciate the info, this is one of the last issues I need to get figured on the install.