Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ABS Reluctor Ring install

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question ABS Reluctor Ring install

Getting ready to put together a 10-bolt and all the write ups I've seen don't show 3 channel ABS installs, only 4 channel or no ABS. Is there anything else holding the reluctor ring on the differential besides a press fit? Would it be wise to spot weld it? You would think it would fling right off and cause all sorts of havoc in rearend.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not positive, but I heard some people put the ring in their oven for awhile, heat it up, and put the carrier in their freezer for awhile, chilling it. But do not quote me on this. Zoomora would know....Maybe he's reading this.....WJ
Old 12-19-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Warren,

How are you? You found any brand new surplus rearends yet? I understand the installation procedure, it just seems as though the engineers could have found a better way to retain the ring. Maybe bolt it under the ring gear? I guess I'm being ****, just seems like it would vibrate loose of fling off if it's not on perfect.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:36 AM
TECH Junkie

You're right....The whole 10 bolt 7.5 setup leaves alot to be desired. No, I'm still looking for a like-new 3.42 3 channel complete rear... Best wishes. WJ
Old 12-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Default It won't come off!

It won't come off, if put on correctly. It doesn't do anything but spin with the carrier.
If you try to press in on, it will break. The oven is fine to heat the ring. Drop it on a cool carrier and that's it.
Good luck with the rest of the work. GM 10 bolts suck.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info guys. And yes, 10 bolts suck. Wish someone would post a pic of a side by side comparison of a 10 bolt ring gear and a 9 inch ring gear. I haven't thrown up in awhile and it's about due.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

The 8.5" HD GM 10 bolt would've been a great rear axle for the '98-'02 F body cars...Chevrolet actually used this rear in Jon Moss's 572" blk w/white striped stick shift 4th gen Camaro. This car was on display at the unveiling of the 35th Anniversary special edition Camaro's in Carlisle, Pa. back in summer of '01. These rear axles will take 650 hp. + if put together w/a good posi and axles. They are not much heavier weight-wise than the 7.5" 10 bolts.....Lots of guys bracket racing w/early 70's Nova's etc. are using this rear w/ good success. The 12 bolt units aftermarket units we are seeing sold for the 4th gen F cars are not as rugged a piece as the late 60's-early 70's GM corporate 12 bolts that were factory installed in the 454 hi-performance Chevelles, Buick Grand Sports, etc. Like everything else things get cheapened up quality wise, but more expensive price wise.... As everyone knows, the Nascar proven Ford 9" piece is probably the best rear available to us, but it's also the heaviest and most power-robbing piece...WJ
Old 12-21-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Hey Warren,

How are you? You found any brand new surplus rearends yet? I understand the installation procedure, it just seems as though the engineers could have found a better way to retain the ring. Maybe bolt it under the ring gear? I guess I'm being ****, just seems like it would vibrate loose of fling off if it's not on perfect.
HavATampa: Still looking for the guy who had that rack of GM 7.5 new surplus GM 10 bolts on Ebay awhile back..... WJ

Quick Reply: ABS Reluctor Ring install