Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to take bearings off auburn?

Old 12-20-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to take bearings off auburn?

I'm buying a torsen rear to replace my chewed up auburn (spider gears ate it) and I'm trying to take off the ring gear, but the bearings are in the way of some of the bolts. I know the bolts are reverse threads, and the perimeter ones are already off, but it's not possible to get the socket on the head of the bolts in the center because of the bearings. Is there a tool I can rent at autozone to take them off? How do you take off the bearings on this thing?

Also, the torsen I'm buying has about 30k miles on it and comes with 3.23 gears and bearings. Is $170 shipped a fair price?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hi, you are going to need a bearing separator, two jaw puller and a large impact socket. Place the separator under the bearing and attach the puller. Use the socket to press against. Air tools make this job a whole easier. You are also going to need a press to get the bearing back on. Buy new bearings and use the inside races out of the old ones to press the new ones on. Hope this helps.

http://www.grainger.com/industrial-s...tors1A808.html

Last edited by Carter Hays; 12-21-2004 at 12:59 AM. Reason: new link
Old 12-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Launching!

you don't have to take the carrier bearings off to get the ring gear off. Once you get the ten ring gear bolts out you'll need to tap the ring gear off with a hammer. Most major tool companies offer carrier bearing pullers.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys, I got it off right after I read your replies. The torsen I bought comes with bearings already installed, should I still go through the trouble of buying new ones and installing them?
Old 12-21-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Glad you got it done. While the carrier is out, you might as well get new bearings and races. If you don't have the tools a transmission shop should know what to do.

All 6 factory bearings in my 01 went bad around 58k.
Making noise, grooved axles etc.

I found this link (ford 8.8) should help http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/cpa5oh/cpa5ohtech013.htm

Last edited by Carter Hays; 12-21-2004 at 02:09 PM. Reason: link update

Search this Thread