Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

double check my gear setup figures please

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default double check my gear setup figures please

ok, well i guess the thunder shootout gave the gears no additional help cause with the exhaust back on it freakin screams like really bad now, it was bad before but now its freakin unbearable.

12 bolt setup, you want lash around 8-9 right
and what is preaload on the pinion supposed to be, where can i get a tool to check it. i already have a dail indicator for the lash. and i need to put in a solid crush sleve and possibly new bearings. it can't possibly be the gears makin that much noise.
and tips/tricks or writups on the pinion part would be nice. i know how to set up the gears.
thanks
Old 12-30-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens when you launch really hard is the crush sleeve gets crushed more and the pinion looses its pre-load. A solid one will end those problems. Lash is normally anywhere from .008-.012 and i think the pinion needs 25 in.lb. of spinning force with new bearings and 20 with used bearings.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:43 PM
14 Second Truck Club

All correct. I would add though if the bearings are already worn in you should go with 15 in/lbs a rotational torque on the pinion. The 25 is right for new bearings.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

new gears i like to lash between 5-8 used 8-12 no @#$%^@!&@%@#$# whine on decel then..
Old 01-06-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
ok, well i guess the thunder shootout gave the gears no additional help cause with the exhaust back on it freakin screams like really bad now, it was bad before but now its freakin unbearable.

12 bolt setup, you want lash around 8-9 right
and what is preaload on the pinion supposed to be, where can i get a tool to check it. i already have a dail indicator for the lash. and i need to put in a solid crush sleve and possibly new bearings. it can't possibly be the gears makin that much noise.
and tips/tricks or writups on the pinion part would be nice. i know how to set up the gears.
thanks
Backlash is the easy part. You have to have the pinion depth right if you want them quiet and to last also. Spend you effort on that, set back lash where it supposed to be, and verify with the pattern. Use the contact pattern as your final answer, as you can cheat the other two some if needed to get it(the pattern) right. Solid spacer is always a good idea also.