Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

has anyone tried modding a 9".....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default has anyone tried modding a 9".....

Im wondering if anyone has tried to modify a 9" to work with an F body. I was pondering the idea of cutting all of the brackets off my 10 bolt and welding them to a 9" from a salvage yard. I also wondered about possibly cutting and modifying the housing ends off of the 10 bolt to weld up to the 9' so that the abs,rotors, caliper brackets, etc. remain intact.

Its just a thought. Has anyone tried or done this?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure it could be done if you had all of the stuff to do it, a jig to get right and the knowledge to do it right. Of course you still have to weld the T/A attachments to the 9" which never came with one and then fab up some sort of T/A mount, but I am sure it could be done. But why would you want to when Moser offers a bolt in housing for about $900.00. Of course you would still need the center section out of the junk yard rear end, and you would most likely need to do something for axles (I do not think they are included with the housing). EDIT... I just checked Moser site and the housing with T.A mount is $610.00, with axles (31,33,35 spline) and bearings it is $955.00.
Originally Posted by Full-Force
Im wondering if anyone has tried to modify a 9" to work with an F body. I was pondering the idea of cutting all of the brackets off my 10 bolt and welding them to a 9" from a salvage yard. I also wondered about possibly cutting and modifying the housing ends off of the 10 bolt to weld up to the 9' so that the abs,rotors, caliper brackets, etc. remain intact.

Its just a thought. Has anyone tried or done this?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

the torque arm is your problem...

you can build a 9" pretty cheap if you get the housing/axles from moser and pick and find the guts (center, carrier, gears, etc)
Old 01-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Launching!

i think it would just be better to buy a 9 in housing already set up to fit your car. by the time you find a housing and go to the trouble of sizing it and cutting your brackets from you old rear and welding them to your new one and cutting axles to fit it it probably would be cheaper and quicker just to buy one. check with TTP performance they are a sponser on this site click on there web site and call matt he is a very helpful guy and will sell you a moser rear cheaper than you can buy one from moser for. i saved almost a $100 on my housing and axle package. jmo
Old 01-05-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The money you'd spend on fixtures and parts would cancel out the cost effectiveness of the project... you'd need a big steel rod that goes through the centersection that would determine your bearing ends and housing width.. its about 300 bucks if you have not ever welded on a rear end housing you can ruin one in a hurry due to excessive heating ...it will draw camber...and toe into the housing and it opens up a whole new batch of problems.. also I wouldnt touch anything fron a "junk yard" with a 10 foot pole stock OE 3rd members are worthless....
Old 01-06-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i agree with guys,simply the time and effort you going to put on,not worth it.