Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to check fluid level on Strange 12 bolt w/aluminum cover? How much fluid total?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check fluid level on Strange 12 bolt w/aluminum cover? How much fluid total?

I was going down the list checking out the car to make sure everything is ready to go to race it and came across the rear end. Its a new unit. I really didn't even know the break in procedure, the type of fluid other than use regular oil (non-synthetic), how to check the level, and how much to use. I had planned on going this evening, but there are too many things for me to check out and not enough time to get to the track. Anyhow, things I need to know so that maybe I can get it out tomorrow or Sunday.

1. How to check fluid level.

2. How much fluild total?

3. Best type of fluid?

I have the aluminum support cover that was option for the Strange, it has a fill and drain plug, but I dont think the fill plug could be the plug to check the fluild because it sits too high.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

there is a plug in the side of the housing, pull it out and the fluid should be up to the bottom of the hole.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Banned

Are you sure the Strange 12 bolts have them because I checked, but I may have missed it.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

I would be fairly certain there is one on the side somewhere. What would the person who did not order the extra cover do if there was not. The only thing is, if the casting originated from a non torque arms style casting (as the 9" Ford did) it may be on the drivers side partially blocked by the T/A. However, since those housing have the T/A mounts cast into the housing, I would think they would have placed it on the pass side.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 quarts of 80w 90 pennzoil and GM Limited Slip additive.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Banned

I double checked, but again I didnt see where the plug was to check the level. The only plugs I have are the 2 that are on the cover. One is a fill plug and the other is a drag plug. The fill plug sits to high to be a level I think. But let's say I didnt get the cover, there has to be a way to check it.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Why not write Strange and ask?
From the web site: strangeeng1@ameritech.net
Old 01-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Also, the only way to fill mine is via the fill hole at the top of the aluminium cover.

When mine was leaking I would guestimate and squirt in about 5oz of fluid every night. And every third night I would just drain the thing and refill it with the correct amount of new oil and additive.

If there is a way to just check the level without draining the rear-end, I would really like to know about it.