Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New Moser 9"- Axles too long - Moser says "that's the way it is"

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:53 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Moser 9"- Axles too long - Moser says "that's the way it is"

As the title says, they're about 1/8" too long. So, the axle bearing won't seat/crush correctly as it is right now. Moser does not recommend grinding down the axle length. My installer is thinking of fabbing up some shims to go against the backing plate (Moser suggested using washers).

I should have been patient and ordered the Strange 12 bolt. Or I should have called Billingsley to order one of their rears.

I just spent over 2g's on a new POS.

I previously had a used Moser 9" which took a dump (just about everything in it was shot), but this one is brand new and I did not expect this type of error to be found (the used one had the axles ground down). ARRGHH!!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, sorry to hear of this Carlos. What a pain in the ***.

I am glad there are websites like this, because all the posts about Moser scared me into a Strange.

Good luck bro, let me know when you head up and we'll run together...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

No surprise there with Moser. They suck!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Launching!

you bought a complete new housing and axles from moser or you just bought new moser axles and other parts to go in your existing housing?
Old 01-12-2005, 11:32 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I bought a completely new assembly- housing, center section and axles. Basically, the 9" package sold through Thunder Racing. I'm chucking the old assembly. It leaked like crazy (out the axles and the center section) and never functioned correctly- it was probably beat up to begin with, then it was probably reassembled improperly. * but I'm not here to bitch about the old Moser 9", I'm here to bitch about the New In Crate Moser 9" * .
Old 01-12-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So who are we going to find bolt in 9" housings from ? Currie wants almost a grand for their stamped steel housing . I want a 9" and I want it to hold together and not cost several thousand dollars .
Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by v8pwr
So who are we going to find bolt in 9" housings from ? Currie wants almost a grand for their stamped steel housing . I want a 9" and I want it to hold together and not cost several thousand dollars .
I PM'd ya back. The housing is not the problem, it's the length of the axle. A housing alone is about $500 from Moser. You can get one from Strange also.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

mine was the same way, only it was only one of them

i just ran the bitch in and tightened down the backing plate screws
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

If you got it from Thunder, call Thunder.

I have one of the earliest Moser 9" setups on the board, and mine never leaks. And I have had 4 different gears in it.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:06 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
If you got it from Thunder, call Thunder.

I have one of the earliest Moser 9" setups on the board, and mine never leaks. And I have had 4 different gears in it.

My first Moser 9" (purchased used) came from NukemSS (now banned) for being a bad seller.

As for the new one, I called Thunder, they called Moser, my mechanic called Moser, Moser called my mechanic, Thunder called my mechanic, I called Moser. At the end of the day, the axles are too long and my mechanic is fabbing up some shims.
I've done a search and I'm not the only one to have gotten axles 1/8-1/4" too long.

Thunder drop ships all Moser orders. They've never seen the rear end. Moser engineers these rear ends. I don't hold Thunder accountable. Chris at Thunder knows what's going on. He's apologetic about the mess. There's not much else he can do.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 01-12-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

I disagree, unless you just do not have time to wait, Thunder should be able to have Moser replace the defective part. Moser will supposedly "replace or repair, free of cost, any part found not to be of ordered dimensional specifications, prior to assembly or use of the part". This came off of the little sheet they attach to all of their axles. I purchased A 9" from Billingsley Racing (the street one, not the fab one) and he gets the housings and axles from Moser as well. He uses Strange for the center section though. I know if I have any problems I would expect him to take care of it and I have no doubt that he would.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:11 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^
I kick myself for not have gone with Billingsley. I've purchased from them in the past and they're top notch.

Thunder is great also, it's the whole drop-ship issue that links it straight back to Moser in my eyes.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Moser sizes the axles based on a spool. I didn't know this when I ordered my first 9" either. I just ground down the axles myself, being careful not to get the axle too hot. My current 9" axles fit great with my spool.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:13 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Moser told Thunder that we should grind down the axle a bit (after telling the mechanic that we should not). We're going to grind down about an 1/8".

The axles were long enough to not allow us to begin the thread on the T-bolts.

Grind we shall, but again let me state, for the amount of money I dished out for this rear, I'm damn frustrated.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Guys, when you buy parts from a shop/distributor, you deal with issues thru them. They are the point of contact unless you cannot reach them or they are unresponsive.

Calling the manufacturer directly before talking to the shop tends to strain their vendor relationship.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:28 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Guys, when you buy parts from a shop/distributor, you deal with issues thru them. They are the point of contact unless you cannot reach them or they are unresponsive.

Calling the manufacturer directly before talking to the shop tends to strain their vendor relationship.
I see. I'll take that into account from now on.
I guess sometimes, one would rather hear directly from the horse's mouth, but if this is how the industry works, I'll follow protocol.

I figured vendor is vendor, fabricator is fabricator, if the fabricator has a tech line, it's best to reach them directly.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn Carlos! Sorry to hear this.

Hope you get the issue resolved and you car back on the road soon!

if it werent for bad luck.........
Old 01-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

That's bad news. Moser has been doing me right for over 15 years. I haven't done business with them in a few years, maybe the company is growing too fast. I go to the junkyard and look for at torino houising to start with they have the large timken SET20 bearings, they're a little tricky to get to seal but they're the best bearings, especially if there's a side load lige road racing, the regular large bearings are good, not as strong but easy to keep sealed and fine for drag racing.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:06 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS666
Damn Carlos! Sorry to hear this.

Hope you get the issue resolved and you car back on the road soon!

if it werent for bad luck.........
Thanks Rich.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry to resurrect a thread, but I tackled this as well tonight -- pass. side slid home just fine, drivers side was just shy of 3/16" too long. Cut 3/16" from the end of the axle, and it slid in like it should.

Quick Reply: New Moser 9"- Axles too long - Moser says "that's the way it is"