Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

One Wheel Burnout while turning??

Old 01-12-2005, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One Wheel Burnout while turning??

I have a 2000 T/A A4 w/ 2.73 rear end. I have had the car for 50k (60K total). As of today I noticed that going around a corner, such as a right turn, the car will roast the right tire, but will not spin the left until the car is straight. For the past 50K miles the car has ALWAYS spun both tires and kicked the rear end out<the fun posi slide effect>, but it seems those days are gone?? In a straight line, whether power braking, or just laying into it both tires will spin but going around a corner it will roast the inside tire. I realize that a limited slip will do this to some degree, but for the past 4 years both tires have spun on this car. I just recently changed the rear end fluid with Valvoline 80/90 w/the GM additive (1 bottle). Is my posi on it's way out?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

yep its on its way out. get a new posi unit or just put in a 12 bolt
Old 01-12-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Fun times for you are ahead if you're going to get a new posi.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krab
Fun times for you are ahead if you're going to get a new posi.
????? You mean the weak 10 bolt or ?
Old 01-12-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2kta--89formula
????? You mean the weak 10 bolt or ?
If you're just going to swap out the carrier for another one, then you'll have some work ahead of you. If you're going to get a whole new rear (12 bolt or 9"), then just bolt it on and go. Let us know how it goes either way.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krab
If you're just going to swap out the carrier for another one, then you'll have some work ahead of you. If you're going to get a whole new rear (12 bolt or 9"), then just bolt it on and go. Let us know how it goes either way.
Just curious, my '89 Formula w/a 10 bolt is sitting in the backyard w/a blown motor.....the rear-end has about 2000 mi on it w/a new auburn posi. Are the posi chunks interchangeable? I have an extended warranty on the car but don't know if the posi unit will be covered so I'm trying to explore other options if it isn't covered---I'd really like a 12 bolt but can't afford it right now....gee, guess it would be a good time to sell those AFR 190's!
Old 01-13-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine won't do it going around a turn but when i turn right to cut a donut one wheels smokes them and it just goes in circles, but when i go left it spins out? Is that normal or is my posi going out too?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

Up until today BOTH my rear tires spun while turning and also while doing donuts. So, I guess I'll just keep drivin' until I have a one legger and see if the warranty will pick up on it!!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess my posi is going too, time for a new rearend
Old 01-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Teching In

I have the EXACT same problem, except that it doesn't spin the left rear in a left turn, it acts normal. I posted this over on CamaroV6.com (my home, lol):
Well, here's what's happening.
I've got a 99 Camaro, Auto Y87 car, so 3.42 and LSD. Anywho, here lately the car has been acting a little weird. I noticed I've been losing traction more frequently as of late, so I started experimenting. Burnouts are fine, both rear tires spin (like I've always been able to). The thing thats different though is that only the rightside rear tire spins in a turn situation. Donuts are only possible in a left hand turn. Either direction that I turn, the right rear is still the only tire that spins. This causes me to loose traction easier in slick situations. I had to pull out on wet leaves a few days ago and didn't think I was gonna get anywhere. I checked the fluid in the diff and it was low but clean, normal metal shavings, nothing serious, no chunks. Opened the diff up and the posi unit looked good, no missing teeth or anything. I changed the fluid, put in the additive, and it's still the same old thing.
I coulda damaged it last time I was at the track, but I really don't know what's even wrong with it. Please help me figure this out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess it's just wearing out. It's not like I've got enough power to stress this thing like you guys can, but still. :/ Anybody have a good working rear end they wanna sell cheap?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:27 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 2kta--89formula
Just curious, my '89 Formula w/a 10 bolt is sitting in the backyard w/a blown motor.....the rear-end has about 2000 mi on it w/a new auburn posi. Are the posi chunks interchangeable? I have an extended warranty on the car but don't know if the posi unit will be covered so I'm trying to explore other options if it isn't covered---I'd really like a 12 bolt but can't afford it right now....gee, guess it would be a good time to sell those AFR 190's!
Your 89 posi should be fine. As long as thye are both for 3.23 and numerically higher ratio and both have 28 spline, you are okay.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not necessarily anything wrong. On a sharp right you
unload the right tire along with the usual torque reaction
lift, so you lose grip. The Torsen only splits the 2X
(roughly) the light-wheel torque to the sticky side,
which has way more "weight" (lateral weight transfer)
on it.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

I expect that both wheels will not turn at the same rate when spinning while turning, but for the past 50K miles I've always been able to spin both tires around a corner. As of lately, ONLY the right will spin <in a right hand turn>, the left tire won't so much as chirp. When the car straightens out, the right tire continues to spin for about 15ft until the left one starts to kick in. One day it's just up and decided to do this, up until then I could smoke both tires while turning, now it's like I have a one legger! I suspect that soon it will happen in a straight line too. Just curious, when the posi does fully go out what happens? Does the rear-end lock, or does it just act as a one legger, or ?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

Also wondering, I do have an extended warranty <AKA "will fix when broken">. If I decide to take my car into a dealer for them to inspect, what do I tell them? Obviously "My car no longer smokes both tires around a turn" wouldn't be a wise idea. I'd imagine I will have to wait until straight line traction is compromised. Anyone have any suggestions on this?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

TTT
Is it O.K. to drive around on a burned out posi while I save some $? Will it just act like a one legger, or could it cause more damage and/or lock up the rear end?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Hey man, I still haven't found out anything either, but I've been looking around. My symptoms are the same. It never did this one wheel burnout thing, ever. Then a month or three back, at about 55K miles, it just started doing the one wheel burnouts. If you find something out, like what's gonna happen, could you email me?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Not a problem! I do notice that it makes a weird knocking noise too going around corners...not too sure what that's all about, just hope it holds up until I get a new one!! Let me know about yours if anything comes up as well.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Weird knocking noise? Does it sound like a wheel bearing or maybe a warped rotor under braking? Yeah, I hear something like that when turning. Can we just rebuild the posi? Like maybe replacing some bearings inside the unit? I'd really like to NOT buy a whole new diff, or worse, a whole rear end.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

This rear end <including the posi> only has 30K miles on it <I'm on my second one, the first was replaced under warranty>. I just changed my fluid and the gears look good, and there is no abnormal noise while cruising or coasting down the road, it's just while cornering, I'd imagine something to do with the clutch pack in the posi. I've been told that I just need to replace the posi. If you're gonna go that route, for a couple hundred more <$200 or so> you can change the gear ratio as well.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

I'd imagine that it could be rebuilt, but I know nothing about it so I'm just going to leave it to a shop. Check with another member, maybe mzoomora for more info on that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: One Wheel Burnout while turning??