Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which axles (stock or hardened)?

Old 01-14-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking Which axles (stock or hardened)?

There is absolutely no way to afford a 12 bolt now and I just broke a axle in my 10 bolt. My question is should I put another stock axle (which I have) in or would it help to put a hardened one in? I was wondering if I put the hardened ones in, that it would break something else later. Or if it was worth putting the extra money into the 10 bolt? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would put a stock axle back in it. I wouldn't waste money on a stock rear with a 6sp car.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Just make sure you did not split the carrier as well. I broke the left axle, pulled it apart, had two aftermarket axles rushed to me, then decided to go ahead and pull out the differential to make sure I got all of the axle pieces out. It was then that I noticed I had also split my carrier from the area under the carrier bearing to one of the holes cast into the carrier under the ring gear mounting flange. Then I ended up having to pay shipping twice as well as a restocking fee to send the axles back, because I was not about to buy another differential also. If it is just an axle, I would invest in a good set of axles and a girdle style cover (T/A or equivelant). I say this because the caps on these things are wimpy as hell. My carrier bearing were also looking burnt (and they had already been replaced once under warranty) which leads me to believe there may be some flex and distortion in the caps/case which would be helped with the beefier girdle style cover. I know I always said I would not waste any money on the stock rear end, but $3,000.00 later I am wondering what a set of good axles and cover might have done.

Last edited by BOWTIE; 01-15-2005 at 07:43 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-15-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man. I have a girtle and not sure about the diff but it sems to be allright. I broke mine off right where the splins start. Any way to get it out except pushing it through the carrier? Thanks. I had a wine to it before it went and I was wondering if a bearing might have been on it's way out too. I am going to check them too. Any big signs to look for as a bad bearing might show? I'm new in lookin at these rears.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

I had to use a long piece of 1" square tubing and pull both axles; then knock it out from the other side (the side that had the good axle). By the way, check that carrier very closely... That sounds exactly like what happened to myself and, from what I understand, to the other guy that broke his carrier the same weekend I did.

Last edited by BOWTIE; 01-15-2005 at 09:36 PM. Reason: add something
Old 01-15-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks. I took the other one out to look at it but not sure if I can get anything long enough to knock the bad piece out. I am going to take the carrier to a friend that is good with these and let him look at it too. Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread