Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Full Spool Guys in here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Spool Guys in here...

AM debating going with a full spool over the locker or posi unit. Any of you guys running a full spool, please post your comments here and how streetable is it. I already do not drive in the rain and no long trips. Just like the option to drive her around town short distances.

thanks in advance
James Coker
Old 01-19-2005, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

well. every one i talk to and have serched on about this for my self. have mixed feeling, they said slow speed and tight turns like a parking space is when you really notice it in the car. but driveing down hwy or what not you cant tell its in there.
and iv found a few post to where ppl took out there locker to install a full spool and they liked it better over the possi. so i think it comes down to opion u have on it and how much you can tolarate in a car. in a couple weeks i hope to be able ot comment on this
Eddie
Old 01-19-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, such as streetablility is much the same. yes my car gets from point a to point b with a spool. ive had both 28" tall nittos on the car as well as 28" tall hoosier qtp's and slicks. doesnt bother me at all really. its not a daily driver so it doesnt ever see anything buy dry pavement. ONLY THING that pisses me off is that in a cheap blacktop parking lot, everyone is gawking at my car cause its cams to all hell and was pretty much open headers, and then i try to park and you hear ER ER ER ER of the one tire dragging or the one spinning (they like to trade off). its somewhat embarasing cause then they look at you like an idiot and your **** is broke. other than that...honestly i drove over 5 miles with no hands on the wheel to make a point to my buddy about the spool one day on the way to the track.

so IN MY OPINOIN if youre not runnin sub 10's, and the car sees any kinda street duty, get a nice heavy duty locker. same thing in that regard. when youre at the track, after your burnout its locked so its a spool, simple as that.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a locker in but went to a spool. couldn't be happier! love the spool and knowing it doesn't have little gears in it so it won't break on me
Old 01-19-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
beauty is in the eye of the beholder, such as streetablility is much the same. yes my car gets from point a to point b with a spool. ive had both 28" tall nittos on the car as well as 28" tall hoosier qtp's and slicks. doesnt bother me at all really. its not a daily driver so it doesnt ever see anything buy dry pavement. ONLY THING that pisses me off is that in a cheap blacktop parking lot, everyone is gawking at my car cause its cams to all hell and was pretty much open headers, and then i try to park and you hear ER ER ER ER of the one tire dragging or the one spinning (they like to trade off). its somewhat embarasing cause then they look at you like an idiot and your **** is broke. other than that...honestly i drove over 5 miles with no hands on the wheel to make a point to my buddy about the spool one day on the way to the track.

so IN MY OPINOIN if youre not runnin sub 10's, and the car sees any kinda street duty, get a nice heavy duty locker. same thing in that regard. when youre at the track, after your burnout its locked so its a spool, simple as that.

Really. Ive never gotten embarrassed parking. And I defeantly cant hear them over the cutouts OR the true duals. Spool is very streetable but then again it depends on the person. (I also think a trex in a A4 isnt bad either). When I went to buy mine I considered the positives....lighter, cheaper, and the strongest. Best advice I can give you was the same that was given to me. Go for a ride and find out just how 'horriable' it is.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

anytime you think the tires are loud.... listen to a locker. it'll chang your mind in NO TIME!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

well..... to give you an idea, my car has become my drag car that I happen to drive every day. 112LSA TSP CAM, front skinnies, no front sway bar, and true duals dumped. My car is already a little awkward for the street, but just wanted to make sure that a full spool is somewhat streetable just for short trips around town (no long trips) and I already do not drive her in the rain

coker
Old 01-20-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

shoot, a spool would perfect for ya!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
shoot, a spool would perfect for ya!
full spool = cheaper and stronger

hmmm?? decided... full spool it is

thanks guys

coker
Old 01-20-2005, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cokeroker
full spool = cheaper and stronger

hmmm?? decided... full spool it is

thanks guys

coker
Let us know how you like it when you get it in. I'm debating the same thing, but won't have the funds for it for awhile, and the more opinions on it the better!
Old 01-20-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Really. Ive never gotten embarrassed parking. And I defeantly cant hear them over the cutouts OR the true duals. Spool is very streetable but then again it depends on the person. (I also think a trex in a A4 isnt bad either). When I went to buy mine I considered the positives....lighter, cheaper, and the strongest. Best advice I can give you was the same that was given to me. Go for a ride and find out just how 'horriable' it is.
yeah really. i had a g5x3 and ath400, and when parking, mainly backing into spots, on CERTAIN pavement as i said, it would squeal to all hell, mostly that slick *** black crap they use in parking lots. not on pavement on the street, i could just feel em spin over and i could sometimes hear the WOOO of the tire turnin over. mabye my hearing is just that good. ears like a snake! (yes thats a joke)
Old 01-20-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

i drive mine around few times a week with the spool and huge mt drag radials, skinnies and no power steering and i have no problems unless im trying to turn the damn wheel sharp when barley movin, but thats not the spools fault. i tell ya, the crap we dont do to lose a few lbs
Old 01-21-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
yeah really. i had a g5x3 and ath400, and when parking, mainly backing into spots, on CERTAIN pavement as i said, it would squeal to all hell, mostly that slick *** black crap they use in parking lots. not on pavement on the street, i could just feel em spin over and i could sometimes hear the WOOO of the tire turnin over. mabye my hearing is just that good. ears like a snake! (yes thats a joke)

What kind of tires are you using. I switched to MT DRs and they dont make any noise now. Must be the sidewall giving
Old 01-21-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

something about artic ***** ls1's always being the fastest
Old 01-21-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
What kind of tires are you using. I switched to MT DRs and they dont make any noise now. Must be the sidewall giving
mine dont either but the hard regular type tires do.