Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

It's finally time to get a 12 bolt or 9" Everybody please read.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question It's finally time to get a 12 bolt or 9" Everybody please read.

Well I'm currently on my 3rd rear end. It's a TA Rear Plate and 3.73 Gears.
It's not broken but It's time. I know I'm on borrowed time so I've already started setting cash aside..

I'd like to order ASAP.
I really would like EVERYONES INPUT AND OPINION!
Here is the key Decideing factors.
  • Daily Driver
  • Keep ABS and TCS
  • I'll be replacing entire Brake System with Baer,Wilwood, stoptech or maybe porsche.
  • I want to be able to use the ACPT Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
  • I plan on using BMR Sway bars and BMR Torque arm to complete my BMR suspension
  • Peak HP will be 650-700 Turbo Daily Driver

With all these in mind what rear end do you think is best for me?
It looks like moser have a lot of options from 12 bolt to 9" and even upgradeded custom alloy axles?
I'm kinda confused. Can you guys help me out?

Last edited by D3IMOS; 01-22-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
Well I'm currently on my 3rd rear end. It's a TA Rear Plate and 3.73 Gears.
It's not broken but It's time. I know I'm on borrowed time so I've already started setting cash aside..

I'd like to order ASAP.
I really would like EVERYONES INPUT AND OPINION!
Here is the key Decideing factors.
  • Daily Driver
  • Keep ABS and TCS
  • I'll be replacing entire Brake System with Baer,Wilwood, stoptech or maybe porsche.
  • I want to be able to use the ACPT Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
  • I plan on using BMR Sway bars and BMR Torque arm to complete my BMR suspension
  • Peak HP will be 650-700 Turbo Daily Driver

With all these in mind what rear end do you think is best for me?
It looks like moser have a lot of options from 12 bolt to 9" and even upgradeded custom alloy axles?
I'm kinda confused. Can you guys help me out?
go 12 bolt. youll be able to keep your abs, tcs, plus those brakes,driveshaft,torque arm will work on it if you go with a moser direct replacement. as for the sway bar youll have to mod up something or get there sway bar install kit due to bigger alxe tubes.the 9inch is also heavier,but stronger.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
go 12 bolt. youll be able to keep your abs, tcs, plus those brakes,driveshaft,torque arm will work on it if you go with a moser direct replacement. as for the sway bar youll have to mod up something or get there sway bar install kit due to bigger alxe tubes.the 9inch is also heavier,but stronger.
So your'e thinkin the moser 12 bolt direct replacement? Will I be able to use the Carbon Fiber Driveshaft I'm lookin at too.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:15 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I would look elsewhere beside Moser. Try Strange, they have very good product, although you may spend more. Read some Moser posts- noise, bad service, etc.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I would look elsewhere beside Moser. Try Strange, they have very good product, although you may spend more. Read some Moser posts- noise, bad service, etc.
Well I read a very long detailed poor review on Strange. So I wanted to know what others are available.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

I've had my Moser 12-bolt for quite some time and it has been absolutely problem free. Also, I have only experienced good customer service. I always here people complaining about Moser, but I've never had any negative experiences with them.

Just noticed, if you're in Raleigh, then I'm only about 40 mins south of you.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBird383
I've had my Moser 12-bolt for quite some time and it has been absolutely problem free. Also, I have only experienced good customer service. I always here people complaining about Moser, but I've never had any negative experiences with them.

Just noticed, if you're in Raleigh, then I'm only about 40 mins south of you.
If you don't mind maybe we can get together for coffee or something and we can discuss the moser 12 bolt you have?
Who you ordered it through? Who installed it? etc etc. Maybe I could go through the same guy So I can avoid any problems.

I'd like to keep the TCS/ABS and still utilize a Carbon Fiber ACPT Driveshaft.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Quite possible. Unfortunately I don't know how much help I can be to you. I ourchased my car with the 12-bolt already installed. As far as installation, I would suggest you do it yourself. I didn't install mine originally, but I have had it in and out numerous times. You should have it professionally set up, but in terms of actual installation, I would never miss a chance to learn more about my car. If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them and I'll definitely do the best I can.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Quite possible. Unfortunately I don't know how much help I can be to you. I ourchased my car with the 12-bolt already installed. As far as installation, I would suggest you do it yourself. I didn't install mine originally, but I have had it in and out numerous times. You should have it professionally set up, but in terms of actual installation, I would never miss a chance to learn more about my car. If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them and I'll definitely do the best I can.
Normally I would if it was something like a computer. When it comes to cars though I don't have the actually physical ability to install anything that complex. I really have no choice but to get it professionally installed.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

If by physical you mean you have a bad back or something like that, then I completely understand. If you mean you've just never done it before, then I would urge you to take a closer look. Installing a rear end is really quite simple. Again, if you mean you actually physically can't, then I apologize. In terms of professional installation, it's really not the kind of thing that you can easily mess up. So any local shop with a decent reputation should be just fine for installation.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chris go with the MOSER 12 bolt you can keep the ABS/TCS and use the carbon fiber drive shaft
get the upgraded eaton posi and go with 33 spline axles
and also go with the 1350 yolk and the T/A girdle cover that they make
also go with the 3.73s
Ken can order you the rear as we are a MOSER dealer and have itdrop shipped to where ever you choose for install

later Rob
Old 01-22-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

If by physical you mean you have a bad back or something like that, then I completely understand. If you mean you've just never done it before, then I would urge you to take a closer look. Installing a rear end is really quite simple. Again, if you mean you actually physically can't, then I apologize. In terms of professional installation, it's really not the kind of thing that you can easily mess up. So any local shop with a decent reputation should be just fine for installation.
I"m physically fit fine. I tried to change a Turbo once and it was a nightmare.
It's odd I can throroughly understand cars, how they work, or how to install them but when I go to do it myself I just can't.

When it comes to computers no sweat I can fix em blindfolded. I'm just the kinda person that knows I' would make it worse.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thechef
chris go with the MOSER 12 bolt you can keep the ABS/TCS and use the carbon fiber drive shaft
also go with the 3.73s
Ken can order you the rear as we are a MOSER dealer and have itdrop shipped to where ever you choose for install

later Rob
Sounds good to me. I been using 3.73's now for awhile. I'm pretty happy with em.
I have been thinkin about going back to 3.42's though. I'm gonna have to drive a buddies car for a few minutes to fix that real quick.

What is the 1350 yolk? What's the upgraded splines for? The TA Girlde cover does what? The one I have on my 10 bolt now leaks slowly. I don't want a repeating issue.
I guess I'm gonna need a package price offer.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Launching!

upraded splines on the axles are for strengh. generally the more spline the stronger they are. the 1350 yoke uses a larger u joint which is stronger. with your kind of power i would definately consider a 9 inch. especially with a turbo. you can keep your abs and tcs with a 9inch and the stock brakes and equipment will fit.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

I love my Moser 12 bolt, and highly recommend it. I have 3.73's eaton hd pos, 33 spline axles, girdle, and 1350 series yoke. I bought mine last year from Speed Inc, and am very happy with there service as well as Mosers. I got the rear end 3 days after ordering. install was my first, so i took my time, but was pretty easy. The biggest problem I had was routing brake lines and that was easy, just took a little time. with the help of a friend it took about 8 hours. My advice is to go with the Moser!! My .02
Old 01-23-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

also go with the 3.73s

later Rob
Rob What about a 9"? These guys are sayin it would be a good choice!

Maybe you should talk to Ken and ask him what he thinks?
Old 01-23-2005, 11:49 AM

Chris
the 9' ir really more for all out drag racing, with the BIG HP cars it would be over kill for your coming turbo set up, i would still recomend the 12 bolt optioned like i listed above

the

Last edited by thechef; 01-23-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Chris
the 9' ir really more for all out drag racing, with the BIG HP cars it would be over kill for your coming turbo set up, i would still recomend the 12 bolt optioned like i listed above

the
OK good call. Drop me a PM with a Price. I think the 12 bolt will be fine then.
I saw Thunder racing and LS1 Speed has a pretty competive price.
Just let me know.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Chris, seems like I hear just as many horror stories about every rear end. Quite frustrating. We aren't talking about a narrowed rear for 1500hp either, that's what I don't understand. I think basically they're all about the same, might be alright, might not. I really don't comprehend the fact that so many fail due to improper ring and pinion set up. I just wish there was a way to make use of a 10 bolt, but I understand the physical impossibilities of that. Let me know what you end up with.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to end up going with the moser 12 bolt and everything rob listed. Everymode I get I always post on here and LS1.com and share my experience of the install and performance of it. So no worries on that aspect. I've learned so much over the last 5 years from these 2 forums.. I'd feel bad if I didn't share my experience of every mod that I do.

Search this Thread