Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Girdle Stud Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Girdle Stud Kit?

Hey fellas, I have my stock rear end, still, with a TA cover installed. I purchased the stud kit but never installed it. I haven't had any issues with the 10 bolt, but I was thinking about installing the stud kit. I recall reading that some people claim that installing the studs isn't a good idea (I'm a little hazy on the reason), but what's your opinion on the stud kit? Should I install it, or don't mess with something that isn't broke?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be that there may be a concern with the clamping forces being applied in a slightly different manner, causing the caps to distort slightly. Or the concern may be that you will effectively apply slightly more torque when tightening the nuts down due to the fact that you are not twisting the bolt, so you deal with a little less friction and stretch.
BUT: I don't think that is likely to be a problem. Of course if you are concerned I can look and see if they'll fit my 8.5" 10-bolt and take them off your hands for you!