Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" install question

Just got my 9" from billingsley
I have a question...
on the E brake / brake line bracket that attached around the LCA on the stock axle, it dosent fit on with the welded area of the new axle, I was thinking about breaking off the side to the center of the bracket and just attaching the outside portion to hold the E brake cable. I would think you need to keep this bracket for the E brake to function correctly.
What have you guys done about this?

Also, whats the easiest way to bolt everything back up, LCAs first? then torque arm to the axle first or T-arm to the car first? any other quick tips to speed things up would be appreciated
Old 03-21-2005, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

oh yeah got another question, when I took the axles to a shop to press the bearings on i got the sides right but I had the backing plates backwards (E brake shoes facing center not outside)
Damn!
so how hard is it to remove them, can they simply be un-pressed and re-pressed, and can the bearings be reused
I think I heard something about cutting them off with a torch, but I hope thats just the easy way if you cant reuse the bearings...
(the "press ring" is on after the bearing if that changes anything)
Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

your f...ed
Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD86Z28
your f...ed
holy **** thats motivation right there!

i bolted my shocks in first, and let the rear end swing from those. it could be articulated very easily and then i put the LCA's on... i think... do a search in this section, i did a pretty thorough write-up on it.

it took 14 tons to press my bearings on my 33 spline axles, i've heard they must be cut off as well. the reason for the incredible pressure, is they are the only thing holding the axles from sliding the hell out (no c-clips). the pressrings will also have to be removed, i would call billingsly and get them to send you a new set of bearings/press rings.

my brake line brakets took some serious convincing th fit. if you were to look on the middle (inside section) of them, there is a small tab that must be beaten flat to fit (on my moser 12 at least). do whatever ya need to. the swaybar bracket needs to be "widened" to fit over the 3" exhaust clamps needed. a hammer will spread them open nicley

did you paint the rear? i did 2 coats rust-proof primer on mine then like 2-3 coats of gloss black engine paint. came out pretty nice! of course the paint got screwed up wrestling into place