Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4.10's and 10 Bolt problem

Old 04-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.10's and 10 Bolt problem

i put 4.10's in my 10 bolt, and im am having an issue setting the backlash. i thought i had it but, i cannot get a good pattern on the gears. i have them in and set up, but i took them for a quick little ride, they whine think a SOB. i think i have a pinion depth problem , need some help
thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you be a little more descriptive of the contact pattern? And what was your backlash? I set mine up for .006 - .007 and it dosnt whine noticeably. Also, it will depend on what gearset you have. I have OEM GM gears (US made Motives).
Old 04-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pattern is unreadable, it is the wierdest thing. backlash is showing .011. if i tightened the pinion bolt down too much, can i back it out, or is it done?
Old 04-11-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

too much as in too much preload on the bearings? It would have to be a shitload to crush the bearings, but if that did happen, theyre done. If you overtightened it, but not enough to crush anything, youll still ned a new crush collar. What size pinion shim are you using? Also, when you say the patern is unreadable, is it possible that the gears are only making contact on the edge and thus not showing when you brush on the compound? are they clean of any oil so that the marking compound adhered to the gear teeth?

Search this Thread