Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9 inch questions

Old 04-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9 inch questions

I got a great deal on a Moser 9 inch with aluminum center, detroit locker, and 35 spline gun drilled axels from a buddy and i have a few questions after installing it. First thing is the car wheel hops realy badly from a dig, granted i do not have an adjustable tq arm or panhard yet but everything looks pretty close (squared up). I called Moser and one guy there said wheel hop is normal with 35 spline and a hard locker and there is no way to cure it? So i made a few other calls and noone agreed with that at all, so i call back Moser and talk to a 2nd guy and he says he did not agree with that either?

Problem #2 on the highway at 90+ the car is realy loose, almost feels like the rearend wants to go the other way sometimes??? Just feels very unsafe and scary???

One thing is the tq arm mount and center section had to be clearanced (metal cut away) for the tq arm bracket to clear and there are also 2 washers on each bolt to help space it out to clear the center section?
This tq arm bracket is fabricated and i hear that some of the newer ones are cast??? Do they fit better witout clearancing them?

So do you thing an adjustable tq arm and pan hard bar will cure these issues after getting the pinion angle where it should be or what should i do????
Old 04-19-2005, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club

Adjustable TA will help the wheel hop. Funny you mention the locker causing hop as I recently changed mine from a posi to locker. It did the smoothest burnouts with the posi but I have yet to totally get rid of the dreaded wheel hop with the locker. Many adjustments, QA1 shocks, etc, etc. It's pretty good now, pinion angle about -3 relative to the pavement but I still get some hop on a hard 1-2 shift.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

I have noticed the wheel hope gets progressively worse the higher i set my QA1's at so i see what you mean on that point, and i figured a tq arm would help. Where do you typically want the pinion angle at on a car that is lowered 1.5"? I'm looking at the spohn tq arm with the built in loop that relocates the front mount point from the tail shaft to a new cross member built in to it.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

i know what you mean about the wheel hope it sucks ***. i have adj TQ-arm set at -3 and it didnt help none. my car is not lowered but my next thing to try is going ot be some relocation brackets. my 9in is a moser with 4.10 35 spline gun drilled axles and a spool. i talked to mad man and he told me ot get some QA1's and that whould get ride of it. but i see you have them and you still got the hop. so i dont know. i do know is with ET-Streets there is none at all. so thats what im glade about. but it sucks if you pull up next to light and a car is ready ot run from a dig so i try and stay away from dig races on street. all so mine only does it from a dig or roll in frist gear i can **** to 2nd and they wheel spin as long as i want them too with no hop. one day i hope i can figure it out. IF you do please let me know, but it is nice to launch at 6 grand and not have to worrie
thanks
Eddie
Old 04-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

So if you hook there is no wheel hop? Hmmmm I suppose that makes sense somewhat, I'll have to see what happens when the MT's go on.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Second Club

right with the ET Streets i had no wheel hop at all. even when i rosted them off the line cause of track preped like crap
Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Well just ordered the Spohn adjustable tq arm with loop and crossmember and adjustable panhard bar and relocation brackets for the trailing arms so hopefully i can solve these issues.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

Did you get adjustable LCAs too? BTW the Spohn TA & PHR are nice parts as is their LCAs
Old 04-20-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

camss30 let me now how it works out
Old 04-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mark98SS
Did you get adjustable LCAs too? BTW the Spohn TA & PHR are nice parts as is their LCAs

No i have Hotchkis boxed arms non adjustable, I don't think i'll need adjustable.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

the relocation brackets is the main problem. Also, the holes on a stock torque arm are 1" off from where it needs to be. On the street, you should run 0* pinion angle for smooth operation and change it for the track. It takes about 3 minutes once you have it set.

Search this Thread