Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12Bolt

Old 04-24-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 12Bolt

Just got my Moser in the car. Eaton Posi, 33 spline, 3.90 gear, ta cover from Speed Inc.

Followed break in procedure by running it in forward 3 mins, then in rev 3 mins on jack stands. Then I drove it around for 10 mins as suggested and then pulled into a gas station to let it cool as suggested.

Well since it didnt come with the brackets for the parking brake, I just left them off and used zip ties to support them in the mean time. So at the gas station I just put the car into 1st gear so it wouldnt roll.

Well, I let the rear end cool off and got some gas and waited another 5-7 mins and then started the car. I immediately let the clutch out (car still in 1st idling at 900rpm) and the car jolted forward about 3 ft and died. My foot was not on the gas the whole time.
So yeah, I was not used to having the car in gear so that happened...anyway....

Now when I am driving (esp turning a corner), I sorta hear a little click every now and then.

MY QUESTION IS: Is the eaton posi so tight (springs) that it will do that occassionally, or is there maybe something wrong with the POSI?
I may be jumping to conclusions too soon, but might something have happened to the posi??
I mean I dont see how a 900rpm clutch dump (foot not on gas) could have caused anything to go wrong, but u never know...
Anyone hear a tiny clunking sound????????????
Old 04-24-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine clicks quite a bit going around corners... that's just the sound it makes when locking/unlocking when going around slow corners (especially turns to the left, not so much on turns to the right). At speed you most likely won't hear it at all...
Old 04-24-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Mine clicks quite a bit going around corners... that's just the sound it makes when locking/unlocking when going around slow corners (especially turns to the left, not so much on turns to the right). At speed you most likely won't hear it at all...
Actually sorry for the alarm...its not the rear...I was jumping to conclusions.
My left rear shock where the bolt goes through and connects to the rear end...it came out of the rubber boot and its very close to the metal. So I think when I go over any slight bump or put pressure on it, it clicks on the metal. Im positive its not the rear...

Everyone says the Mosers whine and such, but mine barely makes any noise. Maybe under decel I hear a very faint whine, and the normal 50-70mph I hear a little noise, but its not like a nasty sounding noise, its just very faint as well
Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give it a few 6k clutch dumps and let me know how the whine sounds after that...

Search this Thread