Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt needed for my application???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 bolt needed for my application???

i have a h/c street car. i am thinking of going with a small nitrous kit, but i dont plan on running my car at the track cuz its my daily driver. since most of the rear end blow outs i hear about come from launching, will my stock rear be ok for street driving on the h/c/nitrous combo?? or would it be a good idea to go ahead and get a 12 bolt?? i also heard that some rear ends break from wheel-hop, which is something i could possibly encounter on the street. any advice?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wickid Z
i have a h/c street car. i am thinking of going with a small nitrous kit, but i dont plan on running my car at the track cuz its my daily driver. since most of the rear end blow outs i hear about come from launching, will my stock rear be ok for street driving on the h/c/nitrous combo?? or would it be a good idea to go ahead and get a 12 bolt?? i also heard that some rear ends break from wheel-hop, which is something i could possibly encounter on the street. any advice?
As long as you stick with street tires you will be fine. Wheel hop does kill 10 bolts though.

It would be a great idea for you to get a 12 bolt.

Here is a thread with people who broke on the street https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/276629-how-many-people-broke-their-10bolt-street.html

Last edited by Keenov; 05-02-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be ok for a while on the street.You wont be able to spray in first or second gear on street tires. 3rd gear might even come around on you. Then if you go with a better tire your at risk of snapping a axel or blowing the rear. Anything you do to make the car not wheel hop is gonna give you better traction. You might want to start saving for a rear. Spraying a H&C car on street tires can get crazy .
Old 05-02-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickid Z
You would probably be ok for awhile, but what's the point of not going to a track to race in your daily driver?