Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft will not come out

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driveshaft will not come out

WTF....I can't get my driveshaft out of the tailshaft of the tranmission. I have even went as far as hooking up rachet strap to the driveshaft and that did not even work. So suggestions are open to anything that you can think.

On a side even with that rachet strap as tight as we could get it and hitting the yoke with a hammer it still not not budge.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be careful, b/c mine did the same thing and i had to pry it out, and when i did, it pulled with it the bushing that goes around the DS when its in the tail shaft. When that happened, the bushing pinched my yoke seal and then my fluid drained out. Now i have to get my synchros redone b/c i lost soo much fluid before i knew it.

Just have somebody hold the DS straight and pry with a wrench btw the tailshaft and that huge collar on the front of the DS. It worked for me, but i feel your pain.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

My Denny's driveshaft got all bound up in the tailshaft too... couldn't get the bastage out no matter how hard we tried. Ended up having to pull the transmission and work on it to get the driveshaft out. Couldn't figure out why it bound up so tight either... but we lubed up the splines inside real well and cleaned it up (was a little gunk in there) and now it slides in and out easily.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:13 PM
wrencher

Or worse case senerio the tailshaft bushing siezed to the yoke.
Has happened B-4
Old 05-05-2005, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Or you twisted the splines. that sux too.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK how do I get the driveshaft out if the bushing is seized to the yoke......

If the splines are twisted I know that the only thing that I can do there is force it out. I have used brute force to try and get this thing out and well...........NO LUCK. So I am not real sure what to do
Old 05-12-2005, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Your best bet is to lower the back of the tranny and remove the rear housing. Don't force anything out, I have learned from my mistakes.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

well I went to extremes yesterday and still had not luck. I used a come-a -lond with a 1/4" thick steel cable and that did not work. So I hooked it up to the back of the truck and tried to get it out that way and the driveshaft is still in. Guess I have to drop the tranny now.