Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3.73's or differential broke tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Rearend broke tonight ... dammit

Not sure what broke in my rearend tonight. The car makes a gawd-awful noise. I'm need some advice.

(1) If the 3.73 gears are damaged, since I still have my old 3.23 gears (very low mileage), should I put them back in??? I have a Yank SS3600 converter.

(2) It the diffrential is shot (and I believe it is), what would the most dependable posi unit be, i.e., Drexel-Torson, Auburn?

I considered a Strange 12-bolt, but, I just don't have that kind of money to spend right now, so, can you help me decide what's the best route to go?

Last edited by JEB99TA; 05-24-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the gears are chipped or have any other damage, you could reuse the stock 3.23's. They work very well with the SS3600. If the posi is shot, I would look at a used Torsen or Auburn. You could have your rebuilt as well. I would not buy a Eaton since they are real expensive and just a total waste for a 10 Bolt. Check the Parts Wanted Section and see if someone has a good posi for you.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

Now, that's some damned good advice, I believe. Anyone else care to weigh inn on this? I have to make a quick decision ... probably will end up using my old 3.23's since they are like new. I had them removed at 26K miles.

As for the posi unit, I think I'll probably go with a new or rebuilt Auburn or Zexel-Torson. Help me out if you can. I have to decide sometime today ... the sooner the better. Thanks for any advice you might have to offer.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Man!!! I just found out that there was a bolt floating around in there where my 3.73 gears were not installed properly. It got in my posi and destroyed it. The real pisser is this: The folks who installed my 3.73 gears actually installed 3.42 gears and charged me for installing the 3.73's.

My car should not even be in the shop right now ... dammit!!!! I know the company probably won't make it right, so, what would you do if you were me? Small claims court maybe?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Court?...Even if you won, the shop would probably just stiff you anyway.

I would try another shop...this shop would de another **** poor job, especially if they had to do it for free.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to buy another 10 bolt. There are a few in the for sale section that are complete less brakes. These are ~$300 and it is a job that you can do at home. If the shop could not do it right the forst time, do not give them a second chance.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Well, all is not lost. The shop owner, whom I spoke with today, is going to make things right. He sent a truck over and towed my car to put new 3/73 gears in it and replaced the posi unit. They're going to replace my MAC cover, as well.

Here's what happened. I got a call from the shop where I get my work done now. The guys pulled the cover off the rearend. Apparently the other shop installed the gears and the bolts were not torqued to spec. The bolts had backed out and several of them were snapped completely off. Several others were also backed out about 3/16'.

Mothing was broken until one or two of the hex bolt heads floated up into the posi unit and messed it up. The REAL kicker was that the initial shop had not installed 3.73 gears. They had installed 3.42's. PISSED me off!!!! BIGTIME.

Thanks for your replies here. I appreciate your your helping me.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would suggest watching the shop install the gears, checkl and make sure they are 3.73's this time, because if they stiffed you once, they will likelly do it again (putting the wrong gears in im talking about) I would watch them the whole time, stand right by them under my car, and make sure it is doen right, and with the right gears
Old 05-26-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Default This Time ...

Well, I was thinking along similar lines. What I am going to do is ask Next Level Performance to pull the cover and re-check everything when I get the car back. I think they'll do it for a resonable charge. They've bent over backward to take care of my needs and I'm pretty sure they'd be glad to double-check things for me.