Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bearing mistake

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing mistake

Well nothing is easy with cars. Droped the axles off today clearly marked labled with hanging tags. Longer axle on the pass side and right backing plate goes on the pass alxe Of course the was to hard to do and he put it together backward. Pissed does not come close to my feelings right now.

My question is how do you get the sealed bearring and press sleave off the axle with out skining the axle and making it useless. The axles have warning tags as not to use any heat on them.

thanks
Old 06-13-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who did it ? I would make him do it. You can press the bearings off with a press and a bearing splitter, or they can be cut off. Neither should involve heat.

Better yet, did you pay with a credit card ? Get a refund and take it to someone else to do.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um... I kinda made a bearing mistake once... used a cut off wheel for the outer race and a lathe for the inner... took abut 15 minutes...
Old 06-14-2005, 12:00 AM
wrencher

The bearings are servicable. Just like Trex said , they can be removed by either method. You might need to drill a hole thru the locking collar, being sure not to hit the axle. Then use a sharp chisel to break the collar across the drilled hole.
I dont like reusing bearings & since you may need new collars, might want to look into all new pieces. It is a judgement call, how hard did they come off & where they damaged in the process.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:26 AM
Launching!

There is no excuse for a mistake like that. Not when the axles were clearly marked. What it was was an argent attitude or rushing.

No i have not removed the bearings yet i was looking for ideas i had heard to never press it off you can skin the axle,Taking steel off the axle
Old 06-14-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a bearing press adapter that you use with a press to get a bearning off. Most shops will have it. It's a safe way to do it.