Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

"Tink" noise coming from driveshaft or auto tranny tailshaft???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 10:56 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Tink" noise coming from driveshaft or auto tranny tailshaft???

Hey guys. I have a small noise that occurs pretty randomly. It usually happens whe putting the car into gear or during shifting, but sometimes happens when just cruising. It's a small "tink" sound. Thought it was a heat shield or exhaust at first, but it seems to be coming from the driveshaft or auto tranny tailshaft. Anyone else hear a noise like this before? I did a search and saw this mentioned only once, a guy mentioned it and said it was the driveshaft and it was nothing to worry about. Wondering if anyone has some thoughts on what this is and how to fix it. It's not really loud, just kind of annoying.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Teching In

I had the same thing in my 99 I took it back to the dealer and they could never find what was causing it, other then being anoying I never had a problem with it. The dealer replaced the drive shaft, checked the tranny, and rear looked over all the heat sheilds and even went into the braking system and could never find what it was. I figured as hard as I was on the car and it never broke it must not have been a big problem. My car was a 99 Z28 A4 and it did it from the day I bought it til I totaled it
Old 06-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Launching!

I have it too....I was told it was the fact that we have aluminum driveshafts and that is the noise they make.

Rick
Old 06-30-2005, 04:18 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Originally Posted by ricker6869
I have it too....I was told it was the fact that we have aluminum driveshafts and that is the noise they make.

Rick
My M6 has never made this noise, is it some auto tranny & alum shaft thing?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Many of the auto cars just make the noise you're describing. It's from play in the u-joints and there's not much you can do about it. You can try replacing u-joints and you might get lucky. It probably won't hurt anything though as our cars aren't known for u-joint failures (when stock-ish).

Quick Reply: "Tink" noise coming from driveshaft or auto tranny tailshaft???