Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

vibration problem!

Old 06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration problem!

I just installed a new tranny, and vig. converter in my 00c5. drove for a week, then went to the track a week ago. made 3 passes total. second pass when I was slowing for the return lane, I heard a noise like a swishing noise from under the car by the shifter I think? Now when I drive normal there is a slight vibration above 55 to about 75. but when accelerating 2/3 throttle, It vibrates the seat,floor pretty good. If I hit it full throttle, is goes away?
I checked the converter bolts again, balancer bolt, changed d.r. to street tires. So far, 3 poeple have told me to take torque tube apart and check the couplers and center support. any other input the same, or other things to check.
thanks Nuzz
Old 07-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

I have almost the same problem. I have a 00 SS Camaro, I have had rear vibration 55 to 80 mph. Have done alot of research and nobody seems to know what the problem is.The tranny has been checked and the drive shaft, rear tires and rims which leaves axles or rear seals or the the whole rearend it self. Also vibration gets worse in 3rd gear. Has anbody ever had this problem?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Teching In

i have the same problem, in fact im having it fixed right now. turns out it was my pinion seals and bearings... do you have an aftermarket torque arm?
Old 07-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

No i don't have an aftermarket torque arm, everything is factory as far as that goes. What is the work going to cost you if you don't mind me asking? Let me know if that fixed your problem. My car has been like this for quite sometime now, just got tired of going to different shops, surprisingly nobody never knew what was causing it.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DemonSS
I have almost the same problem. I have a 00 SS Camaro, I have had rear vibration 55 to 80 mph. Have done alot of research and nobody seems to know what the problem is.The tranny has been checked and the drive shaft, rear tires and rims which leaves axles or rear seals or the the whole rearend it self. Also vibration gets worse in 3rd gear. Has anbody ever had this problem?
Factory u-joints are installed and set with injected plastic. Sometimes the u-joints are .030 - .050 off center (you can visually see the caps) This can cause a slight vibration, amplified when speed is increased. Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pla-tym2
Factory u-joints are installed and set with injected plastic. Sometimes the u-joints are .030 - .050 off center (you can visually see the caps) This can cause a slight vibration, amplified when speed is increased. Good Luck!
What if when your driving down the road and let the car coast in neutral and vibration gets worse. Wouldn't that eliminate the u-joints and drive shaft.From what i was told the drive shaft no longer turns. I might be wrong but thats what i was told.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this problem a few years ago with a GM car. I was convinced it was the tires, but it turned out to be the U-joints. They were also set in plastic. I pressed out the old U-joints, put brand new ones in from NAPA and the vibration disappeared. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys for the info, i never bothered to look at the u-joints. I'll give that a try hope thats my problem. The shops i have taken the car to apparently has over looked that also.

Search this Thread