Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help with 9" purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with 9" purchase

Guys/Gals,

This is my first post so go easy on me.

I have a '02 Collectors TA that I will be putting around 500-550hp to rear wheels. I am not sure what I need in the rear end department.

I belive I need a 9" setup (I have read too many horror stories about loud 12 bolts) with a locker (It will be mostly street driven, Track driven twice a month) and I will at some point have an upgraded engine allowing me to up my boost and HP to around 600RWHP.

Where I start to get foggy is in the Brake set up. I have TCS in my TA so I think I need 4 channel... is this right?

Do I need to buy the exicter <sp> rings pressed on? What is that anyways?

Do I need a TQ Arm too?

What is the no BS price for the 9"?

Thanks all... I love this board and look forward to meeting some of you at some point!!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Launching!

www.driveline-solutions.com/scart/agora.cgi

1-503-630-1098

Scott at Driveline Solutions is top notch guy 100% happy with his work. The 9" i had built is dead quiet. I had not one problem with the install. He is prompt and very knowledgeable. I vouch for him and his work you will not be disappointed.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Default What did ya pay?

Can I ask what your out the door cost was?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Call Scott you will be pleasantly surprised.

I Would not steer you wrong.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Call Jay at Billingsley Racing a sponsor, his # or email is on the sponsor section to the right . Are you a M6? If you are get a 9" with a Detroit soft locker, Moser housing and Strange center section. Get the axles with the exciter rings already pressed on. Billet 1350 yoke and solid crush collar. Big filler plug. Be advised the Detroit locker does not drive like a posi it pops and clunks ocassionally, but it holds like a MF and high RPM clutch dumps do no harm.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

PM me then I'll quote you. I am not a sponsor here and I don't want to be baned! Again! LOL!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

Default M6

Guys,

Thanks for the help...

Yea I am an M6 (6 Speed) and I want to be able to run sticky ET's or something along those lines.

I will call Scott and Jay... I have already called TYBRINE on thier "Special" on the 9" Moser.

I will take your advice on the Locker... I think that I will need that.

Now big you say Moser housing and Strange center... why the mix?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Moser housing for the most part is a bolt in, the Strange housing does not have the necessary brackets welded on etc for the Fbody. Without the proper jigs it would be difficult to weld everything in the right places. Also the Moser is beefier. The Strange center section on the other hand appears to be the best choice, Strange does have some set up problems, but nothing like the complaints on Moser.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:23 AM
9 Second Club

Ok guys I am gathering Info... Am I going to need a Tq Arm? If so what kind? Any suggestions? How important is it?

I talked to Scott and he is working me up a good quote.

Ok now No BS.... how hard is it for me to install it all as delivered? Do I need to take it to a brake shop or Trans shop?

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 07-02-2005, 05:22 AM
Launching!

No it is so simple if you have any mecanical ability and a shop press you will have the swap done in 8 hrs at the most. There is no mods to be done just just make sure the break line goes under the top support bolt for the TQ arm and zip tie the lines to the axle. You will also need Sway bar relocation brackets or you will not be able to put the sway bar back. Sphon has them and they are cheep.

The only reason you will have to do any thing axtra is if you do not have a shop press. You need to press the bearing and press sleave on.

OK buy me to have brearings pressed on it costs $45 per axle (BS option)

I called Harbor Freight and orded ther $99 12 ton shop press with arbor plates. I was spending the money anyway . So i now have a tool in my stable. It is so frigen easy to press axls bearing on you will flip out if you have to pay a shop to do it.
Each axle took me maybe 5 min to press .

Last edited by 00sscam; 07-02-2005 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Default Good to know

Now I didnt know about the Sway bar relocation brackets... That is good info!!

Now I have Aftermarket Adjustable Panhard and Trailing Arms.... what about the TQ Arm? How important is it that I get an Aftermarket one? I have heard about Trailing arm relocation brackets too... do I need those?

As for me.. I think I may pay to have those pressed on. Time is valuble to me and I would like to purchase this rearend and all the parts in the next week or so and have them installed with everything else.

I am hoping that I will be one of the faster F-Bodys in Central TX when all said and done.. but I know there are some sick rides around here too..
Old 07-02-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

OEM torque arm is fine, no issues.

Last edited by bigdsz; 07-03-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:04 PM
9 Second Club

Ok, cause I have read these posts where guys have broken them and banged up their underside. I dont want that.... what causes that to happen?

So do I need relocation brackets for the trailing arms and pan hard too?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Banned

Stock suspension parts should work just fine, just need 3 inch muffler clamps for the sway bar because the old brackets wont fit around the moser housing.

CMC
Old 07-04-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure they are the wide muffler clamps and that they are stainless steel. You will also have to grind a small amount off the bottom torque arm mount.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
PM sent as you know. Guys, get in touch with Scott here. He will get you anything you need. I am having him look into getting me a 9", 31 spline axles and Detroit Locker, daytona pinion, nodular center, 1350 (I think) crossover U-joint, backing plates and 1/2" studs. I will let you guys know when I get it and post some pics.
I'm getting a similar setup from Scott except 35 spline axles and a spool and 4.30. It should be at my door next week all for an unbeatable price. Once Scott gets his business rolling, he would make an excellent sponsor on this board.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:53 PM
9 Second Club

Guys, First I just want everyone to know that I appreciate the help. I have been educated allot in the workings of a 9" rear end.

One thing that I didnt know is that some people who really know this business well have suggested that I go with a True-trac instead of a Detroit Locker because I have an M6. I was told that the locking and unlocking action can be difficult to control through shifts on the track. I thought this was great info and wanted to share with all!!

Ok so here is another question... when you buy the 9" should you have the relocation brackets welded on? What benefit does that give? Is there a certain set up that requires this?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Scott, email me at john@ls1tech.com, I got a couple of complaints from sponsors. I will get you that info for sponsorship or please stop pimping on the board.

To the user, if you want working ABS/TCS you might want to get 33 spline 12 bolt with the upgraded HD posi. Pricey but it's a good setup. I would get one from Strange from Billingsley or whomever carries Strange.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

you are gonna hear lthe locker mechanism in a detroit locker in a 9 inch. how much torque do you plan to make? you may be able to get away with a clutch type posi from eaton or auburn(i'm not sure if auburn makes 9 inch diffs, but its just an option). if you are making enough torque to warrant a detroit locker, you may probably what to consider an aftermarket torque arm.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My previous post removed by myself. I did not realize it might help start complaints from sponsors.