Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bearing going out, my guess rear wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bearing going out, my guess rear wheel bearing

Well sounds like I have a driver side rear wheel bearing going out. At first I thought I was getting excessive tire noise from the the rear, then it got loud one day. Not a constant sound, but a wooom wooom wooom wooom, coming from the drivers side for sure. When making a left turn the sound quiets down, all pointing towards the driver side rear wheel bearing.

I guess it's a good thing I'm getting the rear end gears swapped out and am using the RATECH deluxe install kit which just so happens to include all bearings associated with the rear axle.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:35 AM
TECH Regular

Ya Im pretty sure you have the same problem as me, I have that same humming noise coming from my rear axle (mostly heard on the highway). My mechanic at a local Chevy dealership put it on a lift and told me that its the right side bearing and seal wearing down due to age. He is replacing both sides for $175, pretty cheap fix to get out of the way before major damage is done...goodluck

-Phil
Old 08-12-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Phil

Yeah I ended up buying a Ratech deluxe install kit for Ring and Pinion installs and a new set of gears, and my mechanic put them all in for that same price, I bought the parts mind you.

With that install kit all of the bearings in the rear end were replaced, new crush sleeve for the pinion, etc etc...

You should ask to see what it would cost to do all of the bearings since he will have to pull the axles to do the axle bearings anyway.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same sound you are refering too and swore it was the passenger side wheel bearing. I had them replaced and the sound was still there...had to go back and have the pinion bearing replaced before the sound went away.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the ratech master kit with all bearings, and while it did come with the carrier bearings, it did not come with axle (rear wheel) bearings.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats why you get the Deluxe kit from Thunder Racing! All Bearings.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=67