Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

axle???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default axle???

I had an accident a few months ago and bent the axle. They replaced the axle and rotor with new brake pads and everything. Now for some reason i have been getting a black film on the inside of the wheel. I took it back to the shop that fixed it the first time and they said the there was nothing wrong with the axle and that the "film" in the inside of the wheel was coming from some other source. I cannot see any other place that this can be coming from. This weekend I am going to take the rotor off and see exactly what is going on. Any ideas on what it may be? Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 01:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbird
I had an accident a few months ago and bent the axle. They replaced the axle and rotor with new brake pads and everything. Now for some reason i have been getting a black film on the inside of the wheel. I took it back to the shop that fixed it the first time and they said the there was nothing wrong with the axle and that the "film" in the inside of the wheel was coming from some other source. I cannot see any other place that this can be coming from. This weekend I am going to take the rotor off and see exactly what is going on. Any ideas on what it may be? Thanks

Sounds like the axle tube is also bent from the accident. The film is oil leaking out of the seal.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would they have to replace the whole rear end cuz of that?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like an axle seal. Definitely take the rotor off and see if its coming from the Axle seal.....

Where do those people think the film is coming from? If its on the inside of the wheel only, theres not very many places. Now if its all over the wheels well, underneath the car, the outside of the wheel... then it may be questionable.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be brake dust?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Sounds like an axle seal. Definitely take the rotor off and see if its coming from the Axle seal.....

Where do those people think the film is coming from? If its on the inside of the wheel only, theres not very many places. Now if its all over the wheels well, underneath the car, the outside of the wheel... then it may be questionable.

Thats what I say, it is definately not brake dust, and its too thick to be brake fluid. It has to be the gear oil. And its only the one wheel that got hit so it definately has to be from the impact of the accident. But like I said I will tear it apart myself and take pictures so that I can take it back and call the insurance company so they can handle it.