Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear axel swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axel swap

Ihave a 01 camaro. I need a new rear end.It is a v6 auto. My gears r a 342 can i use otheres,or a complete rearend with different gears and what years???I talked to a local garage and they said if i went with other gears they would tear other things up?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shanes1
Ihave a 01 camaro. I need a new rear end.It is a v6 auto. My gears r a 342 can i use otheres,or a complete rearend with different gears and what years???I talked to a local garage and they said if i went with other gears they would tear other things up?
What exactly is wrong? Carrier, bearings, seals, axles etc.. Your best bet is going to a junk yard and getting a complete rear for your year. Unless you want to learn something and overhaul your existing one.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Teching In

I'm not for sure what is wrong. All I know is I have metal shavings in the fluid, and it makes a clunking sound as I drive down the road.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I may have the same problem as you. But without the clunky sound. I get a big thump when I smash. I have an auto too, and when my mechanic opened my diff he found shavings as well. I'm guessing it was from all the stupid doughnuts, neutral drops and burnouts I did when I first got the car.. so stupid. Anyhow, what I'm doing is getting a new posi unit and replacing my gears to shorter ones. i've read that my stock 10' bolt can break and I should replace it with a 9'.

If what your problem is the same, maybe you could be doing the same? Let me know what your problem is, when you find it.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I think its normal to find some metal shavings on stuck to the magnet on the cover, just as long as you don't find a crap load, but if its clunking sounds like you do have a problem. I wouldn't think you would need to upgrade to a 9" rear with a v6 auto, unless you plan on some major performance upgrades. The automatics don't put as much strain on the rear as the manuals.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Well i didnt wanna switch to a 9. Ijust wanna swap it out with another 10 and i need to know if i have to use the same gear ratio . Ihave a 342 does it have to be the same or with it mess other things up?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool

Just find one with a 3.42 gear set/Torsen carrier, and all will be well.
Call around, a junk yard should hook you up.