Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strongest gears?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strongest gears?

I want to keep my traction control but know I need to upgrade or atleast replace...

Currently i'm runnign a stock LT1 on an built 4L60E... i'm planning on in the next 12 months running about 500 RWHP one way or another.. not sure if an LSx swap or some other means but some power upgrades are in my future... anywho.. I want to move up to these numbers and gave great performance and reliablity while still maintaining all of my options

what is the best set up I can get and still keep my traction control?? are there aftermarket systems that allow for this...

Currently i'm running 323's but i'm thinking 373's... thoughts???
Old 08-05-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you gonna keep the 7.5 ?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chicane
Are you gonna keep the 7.5 ?
if I can... (**** happens and I dont' want to wait for new gears )

but I want to keep traction control and want to know if anyone makes 10bolt 12, 9inch or something that will comply with the traction control system..
Old 08-05-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A de-burred USGear set is about the only thing I will say that will live the longest in a 7.5. Either a set of 3.73's or 4.11's, but, its still a 7.5..... its gonna expire no matter what if you ever hook it up.

Yes the new 12bolt housings have the provisions for traction control. If you were to go with a 9".... you would have to make the convertion happen yourself. Its not hard at all if you have some tools..... I have done quite a few 9's and have integrated the factory electronics to work with them..... it's the tooth count and its signature sinewave that has to be modified.

The thing about the 12bolt is the carrier. USGear/Strange is the only manufacturer that carrie's an Eaton with the reluctor ring machined into the carrier housing itself. That, and its set up for the correct tooth count to work with the factory exciter sensor that make the sine wave input for the ABS/TCS management computer.

Kinda looks like this.... but they have marked the drawing's traction control sensor location as the ABS sensor location..... which is not true.

Strange 12bolt
Old 08-06-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you