Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Spool or Posi
Spool
4.76%
Posi
95.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Strange 12 bolt Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange 12 bolt Which one?

Strange Spool vs. Posi for a near daily driver w/ 4.10's and reaching UP to 450 rwhp with the 12 bolt. Loooking at the stronger posi unit they sell the 4 carrier w/ the Super Duty or whatever it is called so i can obtain TCS and ABS

Car will see rain, and some circle/road track and even maybe some autoX and would like to know which to go for

thanks
adam
Old 08-06-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

you dont want a spool, trust me.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the posi. Spools are a **** on the street.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Launching!

You do not want a 12 Bolt read and use the SEARCH button
Old 08-07-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try a 9 inch with a locker
Old 08-09-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go with the posi. You won't like dring around with a spool at all.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry fella's and Thanks for the opinions Keep them coming!

Originally Posted by 00sscam
You do not want a 12 Bolt read and use the SEARCH button
As for you. I would think for being around the boards even longer than myself, You would know not to state opinions not related to the subject matter. Yes a 9 inch rear end is to a point Superior, however that topic is not one of my consern. My consern is Spool or Posi, not 12 bolt vs. 9". Either way, 9 or 12, spool or posi would have been a consern of mine.

However, since I am asking about ONE brand in particular, Maybe, just maybe, my consern lies within the QUALITY of their product more so then what's stronger. Yes a spool is stronger and better down the straight-a-way, but it is necessary that my rear be street friendly, and of high quality as well. If you were to say "Strange 12-bolt Posi/Spools are junk for such and such a reason, that a 9" Posi/Spool unit would be a far better route to go for such and such a reason" then maybe your post would be legit and worthy of consideration.

What you have posted is worthless and has been pointless to me and of no help to those who are conserned and held with-in the same predicament (sp?) And you would think for as long as I have been on the board, I would not have used the search button in this sense? You are mistaken Pal. I have read and learned enough to go back and forth in arguement "Moser 12-bolt vs Strange 12 bolt" "Strange/Moser 12 bolt vs Moser 9" and "Moser 9 vs the Billinsley Fab-9" There are pros and cons the Fab 9 being the strongest bar none. I've seen several Moser 9"s break and I've seen several Moser 12 bolts break. This is why my question lies with Strange. A strong unit, said to be more worthy of purchase than the Moser 12 bolt, yet My question remained Is the Spool better or is the Posi better and is the quality of the posi strong enough to withstand the beating of a 12-bolt spool?

That is all for my ranting and since today has not been the best day, somebody had it coming to them it's to what point i can be pushed and that did it

Thanks for all your Helpful replies and keep them coming if anyone can chime in on quality etc. please inform me to tehe best of your knowledge or experience

Adam
Old 08-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Since your so well versed about all then tell me why would you need to ask such a simple question. When all in here know the answer to such a basic question

Posi "WEAK" Car feels normal
Spool "Strong" Car will drive like *** in turnes, bastard to park, Inpossible to drive on any type of slick road.

GOOD LUCK

I did have a Strange 12 bolt and 50 hp less then you and blew it up twice with a posi. Not worth the money in a M6 car
Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

anybody else
Old 08-24-2005, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

Never had any problems with the posi. gets my vote!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Thats funny how everyone puts the spool down in the driveability dept but yet most of them have never even had a spool in their car. i daily drive a spool and if it wasn't for the tires making noise in parking lots and tight turns i wouldn't know it was there.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a 12 bolt from someone that knows what they are doing with one. Purchase the parts and have it built, dont just get one pre assembled from Strange or Moser...... afterall, they are just using a KTRE housing and screwing parts into it.

Id call an independant builder like Tom's Differentials in Paramount CA or Pro Gear in San Diego..... youll get the product everyone thats broken one, wished they had from the begining.

Oh yeah.... Id use a tuned Eaton.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Sorry fella's and Thanks for the opinions Keep them coming!

As for you. I would think for being around the boards even longer than myself, You would know not to state opinions not related to the subject matter. Yes a 9 inch rear end is to a point Superior, however that topic is not one of my consern. My consern is Spool or Posi, not 12 bolt vs. 9". Either way, 9 or 12, spool or posi would have been a consern of mine.

However, since I am asking about ONE brand in particular, Maybe, just maybe, my consern lies within the QUALITY of their product more so then what's stronger. Yes a spool is stronger and better down the straight-a-way, but it is necessary that my rear be street friendly, and of high quality as well. If you were to say "Strange 12-bolt Posi/Spools are junk for such and such a reason, that a 9" Posi/Spool unit would be a far better route to go for such and such a reason" then maybe your post would be legit and worthy of consideration.

What you have posted is worthless and has been pointless to me and of no help to those who are conserned and held with-in the same predicament (sp?) And you would think for as long as I have been on the board, I would not have used the search button in this sense? You are mistaken Pal. I have read and learned enough to go back and forth in arguement "Moser 12-bolt vs Strange 12 bolt" "Strange/Moser 12 bolt vs Moser 9" and "Moser 9 vs the Billinsley Fab-9" There are pros and cons the Fab 9 being the strongest bar none. I've seen several Moser 9"s break and I've seen several Moser 12 bolts break. This is why my question lies with Strange. A strong unit, said to be more worthy of purchase than the Moser 12 bolt, yet My question remained Is the Spool better or is the Posi better and is the quality of the posi strong enough to withstand the beating of a 12-bolt spool?

That is all for my ranting and since today has not been the best day, somebody had it coming to them it's to what point i can be pushed and that did it

Thanks for all your Helpful replies and keep them coming if anyone can chime in on quality etc. please inform me to tehe best of your knowledge or experience

Adam

Take a pill. This happens everytime a question comes up concerning rears or parts for rears. Being as you have been around for so long you probably already know this. It doesnt matter if your asking spool or posi or what rear to get the same staements are made everytime whether you like it or not. Obviously he based his statement on his own experience. If you dont want to listen to it ignore it. Or if your skirt is really in a bunch about put him on your ignore list and forget about. It is a public board and for the most part we are adults.

Now to the question at hand:

Go with a posi. Oh by the way get a solid spacer in that sucker to or you'll be listening to your gears whine like a banshee.

Have a fantabulous day.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe J-Rod can chime in for this.... Can you dump the clutch @ 6600 SAFELY in a 12 bolt posi w/ 4.11's w/ 26-27" ET STREETS? or is it better to launch closer to 5 or lower? please some1 anyone who does this
Old 09-18-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive been known to side step the clutch at 6k+.......
Old 09-24-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's wrong with getting a preassembled Strange 12 bolt? Those are kick *** rear ends.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

you better be buying a driveshaft as well if you plan to do that and have your tranny upgraded first
Old 09-26-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blind527
What's wrong with getting a preassembled Strange 12 bolt? Those are kick *** rear ends.
Well....... I guess that all depends on who is setting it up. You are correct, they are kick *** parts.... but they are only as good as the one screwing it together. After hearing SO many around here complain about noises, braking bolts and general not paying any real attention to what they were doing....... I am guessing it must not be their driving habbits (cuz no one around here drives their car hard) or failure to actually do the brake-in correctly. The suppling companies doent even have a clue on that one either................

But its really unfair to you, the end user, to get something that cant be warranteed (because they tell you "no warranty" from the way you use it) but it really comes down to that they cant do a test drive on a car that isnt in their possession...... to find out weather or not its going to make noise or not..... from their installation process.

I guess thats what you get from a mail order differential...... you just roll the dice.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane
Ive been known to side step the clutch at 6k+.......

OMG i just got all hot and giddy thinking about doing that
Old 09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chicane
Well....... I guess that all depends on who is setting it up. You are correct, they are kick *** parts.... but they are only as good as the one screwing it together. After hearing SO many around here complain about noises, braking bolts and general not paying any real attention to what they were doing....... I am guessing it must not be their driving habbits (cuz no one around here drives their car hard) or failure to actually do the brake-in correctly. The suppling companies doent even have a clue on that one either................

But its really unfair to you, the end user, to get something that cant be warranteed (because they tell you "no warranty" from the way you use it) but it really comes down to that they cant do a test drive on a car that isnt in their possession...... to find out weather or not its going to make noise or not..... from their installation process.

I guess thats what you get from a mail order differential...... you just roll the dice.

Damn. Would getting a 12 bolt built from a shop be cheaper but just as good, if not better?