Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Locker installed in the 12 bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locker installed in the 12 bolt!

Well, after completely trashing my Eaton HD posi with a few launches on ET Streets with my new McLeod Twin Disk, I had to get something that would survive getting pounded on... so, I got one of the relatively new Detroit Lockers put in my Moser 12 bolt.

I was a little apprehensive at first, thinking it was going to be way too extreme for my liking on the street... but actually, it isn't bad at all! There's a little bit of "torque steer" on softer shifts, and a little bit of wobbling in the rear during certain cornering maneuvers, but I've gotten used to it real quick.

The Detroit Lockers only come in a 3 series carrier, unfortunately... so I needed to get Richmond "thick" 4.10 gears. They whine a little bit, but not too bad. Now I just have to get the 500 mile break-in period done so I can hit the track.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Break In? I just put in a 9" rear last Sat. I ran it on jacks for 30-45 mins, drove for 10 miles, let it cool for almost an hour, and have been to 120 mph twice, 90 mph once, and have done a few line lock burn outs. What break in? If it's not too hot, I'm going to Atco this Friday with the ET Streets . I have about 250 miles on the whole rear. If it's gonna break, it's gonna break. Every engine I've ever built, I got on it after a few road miles. The Last one was at 187 miles, (murder) because Daddy's little boy was try to impress his friends in his BMW M6 convert? I wasn't letting "Lil Snot Nose" tell his stupid war stories in home room about how he killed a loud, '95 Z28 stick car. That car went on to turn a 12.3 @ 113 by the guy who bought it from the dealer I traded it in to for my '00 SS. Break In?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

New gears are relatively soft and need some break-in time... otherwise the wear pattern can get screwed up, leading to premature gear replacement being necessary. I'd rather not change my gears out after every drag season.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're back in business. Man, you are eating parts! The last time I looked you had just installed a Ram clutch. What happened to that?

How's the new locker work. I had one of the old style in my 9 inch and it was intollerable for a daily driver--which mine still is. I liked the performance though. I hear the new ones are not too noisy. Mine sounded like someone was hitting the rear with a ball peen hammer every time a turned a corner. The wife wouldn't ride in it anymore so I switched to a TrueTrac. It's been great.

I've been wrestling with a vibration problem since last summer and finally discovered the new spicer yoke was machined off center. What a PITA.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Glad you're back in business. Man, you are eating parts! The last time I looked you had just installed a Ram clutch. What happened to that?

How's the new locker work. I had one of the old style in my 9 inch and it was intollerable for a daily driver--which mine still is. I liked the performance though. I hear the new ones are not too noisy. Mine sounded like someone was hitting the rear with a ball peen hammer every time a turned a corner. The wife wouldn't ride in it anymore so I switched to a TrueTrac. It's been great.

I've been wrestling with a vibration problem since last summer and finally discovered the new spicer yoke was machined off center. What a PITA.
Yep, installed a RAM Powergrip HD, and it took all of 8 track passes before the friction material of the disk was torn clean off... so had to get a new clutch, went with the Twin, and I couldn't be happier.

Of course, with the Twin in there it ate my Eaton HD posi in the 12 bolt... So, went with the locker. So far the locker has been great. I've gotten real used to it, it doesn't make a lot of noise at all. Certainly not like what you've described in the past... so they must have made some big improvements.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:50 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I sell a lot of the Moser 12 bolt rear-ends (1 to 4 per week) with the True Trac option, and I have not heard of one single problem. Bob