Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Difference in carriers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in carriers?

I was told that there might be a difference between a rearend carrier/3rd member in an LT1 with a M6 as opposed to one with an A4. I always thought a 10 bolt was a 10 bolt, no matter which trans it came with. Am I wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Don't know if it's the same for LT1's, but the 10-bolt came with either a Torsen or Auburn carrier. The auburn uses clutches, hence the need for the limited slip additive while the torsen doesn't have clutches. One way to tell is to jack up the rear, and spin one tire, if the other one rotates in the same direction you have an auburn. If the tire rotates in the opposite direction, it's a torsen. I've read that the torsen's take a little more abuse in the 1/4 mile, but still weak.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Krab
Don't know if it's the same for LT1's, but the 10-bolt came with either a Torsen or Auburn carrier. The auburn uses clutches, hence the need for the limited slip additive while the torsen doesn't have clutches. One way to tell is to jack up the rear, and spin one tire, if the other one rotates in the same direction you have an auburn. If the tire rotates in the opposite direction, it's a torsen. I've read that the torsen's take a little more abuse in the 1/4 mile, but still weak.
Yeah, I know about the differences in the Auburn w/clutches needing friction modifier and the Zezel-Torsen that has no friction clutches and does not need the additive.
What I would like to know is if somebody has an LT1 A4 with the Auburn rearend like they came with, and wants to rebuild the center section/carrier, and already has the gears (3.73) and installation kit, but wants to buy a carrier to put them in, would the tranny that it has matter? In other words, do they need the carrier from an A4 car, or would one from an M6 work just as well? This is what I always thought, either one will work. A ten bolt is a ten bolt
I may be wrong, anyone else know about this? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

If an A4 has 2.73s',it's a series 2 carrier.If an M6 has 3.42s',it's a series 3 carrier.Difference between the carriers is approximately 1/4 inch in the dimension of pinion centerline to the surface of carrier that the ring gear mounts to(the circular flat that has 10 clearance bolt holes).A gear set is manufactured for a particular carrier series.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChevyGoldfinger
Yeah, I know about the differences in the Auburn w/clutches needing friction modifier and the Zezel-Torsen that has no friction clutches and does not need the additive.
What I would like to know is if somebody has an LT1 A4 with the Auburn rearend like they came with, and wants to rebuild the center section/carrier, and already has the gears (3.73) and installation kit, but wants to buy a carrier to put them in, would the tranny that it has matter? In other words, do they need the carrier from an A4 car, or would one from an M6 work just as well? This is what I always thought, either one will work. A ten bolt is a ten bolt
I may be wrong, anyone else know about this? Thanks.
I wouldn't think the transmission of the car matters, as long as you aren't swapping a 2 series carrier for a 3 series like LS1Z mentioned. Otherwise, you'd have the thicker gears for the 2 series and the regular gears for the 3 series carrier.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
If an A4 has 2.73s',it's a series 2 carrier.If an M6 has 3.42s',it's a series 3 carrier.Difference between the carriers is approximately 1/4 inch in the dimension of pinion centerline to the surface of carrier that the ring gear mounts to(the circular flat that has 10 clearance bolt holes).A gear set is manufactured for a particular carrier series.
A GM dealer mechanic confirmed that what you said is 100% correct. Thanks for the reply.