Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle repair bearings

Old 08-12-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Axle repair bearings

Has anybody had any luck using the timken axle repair bearings from autozone?

I have to rip my rear axle apart this weekend since I think i have a bad rear wheel bearing. Im worried that once I get there I may find the axle chewed up a little bit. If I do find one axle chewed up should I only use the repair kit on that one side and a regular bearing on the other? Or should I do replace both sides with the repair kit to keep things symetrical?

I will most likely replace the axles in time, but for now, I need a quick fix since my car is my daily driver.

Thanks,
-T
Old 08-12-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Has anybody had any luck using the timken axle repair bearings from autozone?

I have to rip my rear axle apart this weekend since I think i have a bad rear wheel bearing. Im worried that once I get there I may find the axle chewed up a little bit. If I do find one axle chewed up should I only use the repair kit on that one side and a regular bearing on the other? Or should I do replace both sides with the repair kit to keep things symetrical?

I will most likely replace the axles in time, but for now, I need a quick fix since my car is my daily driver.

Thanks,
-T
I say just buy both regular and the Timken bearings. If the axle doesnt look pitted then put in the regular bearings and refund the timken... or vice versa.

I thought about buying the timken bearings as well because my car made an awful noise with loud pulsing... I thought the axle was chewed for sure, the bearings were just begining to pit... so it wasnt bad at all.

I would only use those bearings where needed..
Old 08-12-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, Ill pull the axles before i head over to AZ (ill bum a ride). So youre saying that if only the passenger side is pitted (where the noise is coming from) I should replace the drivers side with a standard bearing?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Axle repair bearings