Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear differential cover, rear seal, etc LEAKING AGAIN.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Rear differential cover, rear seal, etc LEAKING AGAIN.

Ok the rear cover, the opposite end (part where the driveshaft goes into the rear end), and the tranny seal (where the driveshaft goes into the tranny) are leaking again. These seals have been replaced maybe 4 times each by now. And this is with normal driving (havent launched for quite some time). These seals are supposedly easy and cheap to replace, but its annoying! Are there better seals, gaskets out there? What about for the differential cover?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you tried just rtv for the diff cover?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:55 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I have replaced my rear trans seal, and the pinion seal leaks some, that's pretty normal for a high mileage car like mine. If you have constant probs you might want to have the driveshaft checked out. Have a shop set it up on a lathe and check the runout, if it's been damaged (whether you know it or not) it will affect the rear trans seal and the pinion seal, possibly. Another thing to check, maybe a remote possibility, is the torque arm mounting, e.g. is it secure, no loose bolts, etc.
Hope this helps.
gwj
Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check pinion yoke for gouges or grooves around seal surface and be sure the seal is installed wet not dry
Old 08-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Pinion seal leaked on my '94 Z28. Put in a new seal and napa suggested a sleeve and never leaked again.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

My stock pinion seal used to leak also. I replaced it with a napa seal about a year ago and it's been dry ever since. The differential cover, just make sure you clean both the cover and the differential mating surfaces before you close her back up. I use a regular paper gasket. Don't know about the tranny side though.

Quick Reply: Rear differential cover, rear seal, etc LEAKING AGAIN.