Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Sannding pinion shaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Sannding pinion shaft

Some people sand down the pinion shaft so that the bearing can be pulled off by hand. Is this ok? It seems as if the shaft would turn inside the bearing causing it to wollow out after time.

For those who have done this, how loose do you get the bearing to fit the shaft?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Also I read where someone on here said that they do not use a crush sleeve at all. They get the preload on the baring where they want it and tack weld the nut to the pinion shaft. Is this ok?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I have not done it, I would argue that it could in fact be done without worrying about the pinion spinning inside the bearing, particularly if used with a solid pinion spacer. When used with a solid pinion spacer, the spacer shims are adjusted so that you can get the nut torqued to 140 ft lbs with the proper bearing preload. That 140 ft lbs of torque represents a hell of a lot of compression from the pinion head throught the inner race of the head bearing, through the pinion spacer, through the inner race of the yoke bearing, through the yoke and to the nut. Very, very low probability that the bearing race is going to spin on the pinion in that situation.

As far as welding the nut on and ditching the crush sleeve - if you do that any wear in of the bearings will result in lower than desired bearing preload and slop in the bearings = incorrect pinion contact with the ring gear and a very difficult time adjusting the preload (grind off weld, adjust, weld again).

I would recommend a solid spacer...
Old 08-21-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Some people sand down the pinion shaft so that the bearing can be pulled off by hand. Is this ok? It seems as if the shaft would turn inside the bearing causing it to wollow out after time.

For those who have done this, how loose do you get the bearing to fit the shaft?
Man, don't do something like that. Get your tools together, press it on and do it right. Now you can sand out an old bearing for setup ie..pinion depth, shim etc... Yes, a solid spacer is well worth the time.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some brands have a hell of alot of interference fit so it is ok to take a little off of the pinion but not enough so you can put it on and off by hand. Solid spacer is a good option but leave the welder alone.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok I left the welder alone. I did take my pinion to work and chucked it in the lathe and dressed it down with some sandpaper. I can put the bearing on and off by hand with some tension.

I talked to a guy local that is " the " man that sets up most rears around here and thats what he does as well.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I have never seen a solid sleeve for the 7.625 10 bolt
Old 08-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Launching!

So does the solid spacer replace the crush sleeve? If so, what are the benefits?
I imagine it may help with a seal leak.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

The solid spacer replaces the crush sleeve. You can set your preload where you need to be and torque the pinion nut without worry. The solid spacer will not "give" under hard usage as a crush sleeve can sometimes.

Also if you need to replace your pinion seal later it makes it idiot proof, well almost!

Originally Posted by Red Orange 96
So does the solid spacer replace the crush sleeve? If so, what are the benefits?
I imagine it may help with a seal leak.