Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

question about gear brands

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about gear brands

hello guys
being a new guy here and reading through the various threads on rear gears, i need some help determining with everyone's opinion, what gear maker to use for my 2000 ls1 a4 2.73 case. i'd really like to install a 4.10 set. the only mods are a k&n air filter and slp cover, a spl cat back exhaust, 160 t-mo with a hypertech adjuster box.

the car will never see drag slicks or a track, but will get it's w.o.t. punishment.
with the funds being some what restricted at this point in time, the 9 inch along with the 6.0 block (laying on the bench) project is on the back burner for now.

knowing gear failure is eminent in the future. what maker should i use? i'd like to use the smaller gear carrier as i have 2 spares. also can i use the some of the new oem bearings i have on hand with some of the a/f gear sets? also would a girddle help to make it last a while. any set up help would be great

thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

I was curious about this too. Are there any benefits at all to getting Motives, Precisions, or some other aftermarket brand vs. OEM quality gears?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

You have the exact setup that I have, which means you have a series 2 carrier. That eliminates Motive. You can buy USgear/Strange that makes a "thick" gear for your series 2 carrier. I've heard from too many people that the Richmond is noisy, unless you can put up with it.

I'm changing the bearings and seals in the process with a kit. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reajenls1
hello guys
being a new guy here and reading through the various threads on rear gears, i need some help determining with everyone's opinion, what gear maker to use for my 2000 ls1 a4 2.73 case. i'd really like to install a 4.10 set. the only mods are a k&n air filter and slp cover, a spl cat back exhaust, 160 t-mo with a hypertech adjuster box.

the car will never see drag slicks or a track, but will get it's w.o.t. punishment.
with the funds being some what restricted at this point in time, the 9 inch along with the 6.0 block (laying on the bench) project is on the back burner for now.

knowing gear failure is eminent in the future. what maker should i use? i'd like to use the smaller gear carrier as i have 2 spares. also can i use the some of the new oem bearings i have on hand with some of the a/f gear sets? also would a girddle help to make it last a while. any set up help would be great

thanks
Is 4.10's a little too much for a A4? I would think a 3.73 would be better. I would get a TC before gears but that is much more than gears.
Bill
Old 08-26-2005, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
Is 4.10's a little too much for a A4? I would think a 3.73 would be better. I would get a TC before gears but that is much more than gears.
Bill
Yes, I agree, 3.73 is what I'm going to use for my a4.