Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

For those of you who have puked their Torsen...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question For those of you who have puked their Torsen...

...what kind of indication did you have? Presently, I don't seem to have any kind of "posi" capability at all. It looks to be operating like an open-end rear. I have picked up a hellacious whine from it as well.

I'm asking if anyone had a similar failure manisfestation to see if I have "failed-safe" or whether I should expect this thing to lock up at some point while I'm running 70 MPH on the highway. It's my daily driver.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will pop, clanke, shake, jump, and all kind of **** around turns. Both of the torsens that I broke, with the car on jack stands, I could turn the left wheel and neither the right tire or the drive shaft would spin, it would just make a clunking noise inside. What happens is the worm gears and the spider gears break.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
It will pop, clanke, shake, jump, and all kind of **** around turns. Both of the torsens that I broke, with the car on jack stands, I could turn the left wheel and neither the right tire or the drive shaft would spin, it would just make a clunking noise inside. What happens is the worm gears and the spider gears break.
Actually, around turns, there's nothing. Not even the standard wiggle-wiggle that you'd get (and what I previously got) from a posi.

I guess I'll take the cover off this weekend and see if there is anything noticeable, and, whether I should continue to drive it.