Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What causes bad spalling on axles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What causes bad spalling on axles?

What causes bad spalling on the axles? My wheelbearings got noisy about 3K ago and i replaced the bearings with the axlesaver type so that the rollers ride in a different area on the axle. 3K later I had bad spalling again on one side. How could the axles get pitted so badly in only 3K miles? I just replaced my stockers with moser axles and I dont want these to get pitted up!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually spalling is caused by overloading of the bearing on the shaft, effectively deforming the metal. Sometimes it can be from a vibration condition. Is it possible you have a bent axle (out of round could hammer the bearing)?

Is it happening only on the one side - same side both times ?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Both showed signs of spalling at 82K miles. I then installed axle-saver bearings. at 85K miles the pass side had heavy spalling on the new wear path even worse than the original. I then installed new moser 10 bolt axles and standard timken bearings / seals. Hopefully I wont need new axles again in a few K.

I believe the stock pass axle may have had some runout as some of the brake vibration is now gone. Im not sure how the axles could have bent though. Never hit a curb or anything, and only run street tires.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Highly unlikely but imbalanced tires could have contributed
Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
What causes bad spalling on the axles?
In your case, its poor heat treating.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought about poor heat treating, however because the axle actually forms the inner race, if the heat treating was improper (soft surface) the failure mode would have been grooving of the axle instead of spalling.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Banned

poor materials and poor workmanship heat treating the axle....i've replaced my right axle also....also be sure the level oil level is high enough to keep oil out in the tubes...i over fill mine slightly to be sure the bearings are lubed good all the time.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, The oil was and is always filled up to the fill hole.

This makes me think of something. While I dont yet have one yet, most girdles (rear covers) have the fill hole at what seems to be way below the centerline of the axles. Filling it from this hole would make me think that the axles will not receive any gear oil. What is the general concensus, simply use the stock fill hole?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRex
I thought about poor heat treating, however because the axle actually forms the inner race, if the heat treating was improper (soft surface) the failure mode would have been grooving of the axle instead of spalling.
Spalling is just the beginning, of what will turn into grooving the axle bearing surface.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Banned

one other cause could be dirt-metal in the oil ...but i would think would cause wear not a complete failure.