Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end prob

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end prob

Well, I am wondering if you grease monkeys can help me out. A few months ago my rear was leaking some fluid. i took it to the shop and they said it was the pinion seal, so they replaced it. But they also said that when they were in there they noticed the yoke was "a bit loose", and that it why there was some pinion gear grinding noise. They reccomened a "rebuild" for around 1300. I said screw that and kept driving it. Now I started hearing a quiet clicking noice comming from the rear. I took it in again and It would have been a lot of labor costs to rip it open, but they said that a tooth was more than likely broken off.

So, my question is, is it safe to drive it like it is now? If not is there a SHORT TERM SOLUTION that would last a few months till the end of the driving season besides replacing the whole rear end? I dont have alot of cash since I am a college student, so I would have to wait to spring till I got the money for a Strange 12 bolt or something similiar. So, basically, what should I do?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Depending on were u live u should be able to put a new ring/pinion,bearings,etc for as little as 500 dollars,that includes labor.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:50 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I lost a pinion tooth on a Buick Gran Sport many years ago and it was loud as hell! Definitely no quiet clicking. You can pull the rear cover off and take a look.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

I have seen complete used 10 bolt rearends going for $250-$400. $1300 is dang high to sink into a 10 bolt. Here is an example in the for sale section: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=10+bolt
Old 09-11-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gears (ratio of your choice), bearings (Timken), cleaner/sealer/locktite/seals and oil (straight 140+fric modifier) shouldnt cost more than 575-600 complete with labor.

With axles/axle bearings and a new posi...... 1300 is about right but on the high side of the scale...... which is what you quote as a business, to be all inclusive in the worst case senario.