Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Solid Rear Conversion! Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solid Rear Conversion! Help

Well, as most or some of you might know the 2004-2005 GTOs are independent rear suspension. Well, this simply won't cut it. Currently my car is making over 550rwhp and 450trq. Procharged and cammed.

Well, I was at the track a few weeks ago and definately broke something in the center section causing a crude grinding noise from my rear end. Another buddy of mine making similar hp and more trq broke his half shaft. So clearly the GTOs rear end is in need of dire help if you want to be serious. I have plans of a forged motor for the car, but refuse to do so until I can help fix the rear end issues with this car. Hence I am thinking solid rear axle.

What do you guys suggest I use. My space is limited under this car, and I already know that it will probably take a lot of custom fabrication to make this work. But pretty much my entire life I have done things differently, so why stop now.

Which rear ends have people had success with? Some website information to research rear ends and dimensions would be great. Any help that you guys can provide me with would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have only seen some on a aussie website and they were not cheap!
Old 09-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BAD86Z28
I have only seen some on a aussie website and they were not cheap!
Aussie prices are cheaper than ours though, keep that in mind when viewing a overseas site.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Regular

This is probably dumb, but is the corvette setup any stronger? and maybe if it is, would it be easier to swap in? I know I have seen vettes with really high HP numbers, what have they done? I have a TA so I am not sure. Just a thought
Old 09-25-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you look at BMR's site at their GTO project you can see what all they did to beef up theirs. For the right money I'm sure you could get them to build that stuff for you.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:25 PM
9 Second Club

The center section that BMR is running is a package shipped from Australia. DiffTechnics is the company that makes it, it is a 9" Center Section, and if they ever put it back on th emarket I will get it, but right now it is not looking so promising! It might be Spring before they put it back on the market. Problem is I will probably have my Forged motor and nitrous on the car before it is even available!?