Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need Help after Moser-12bolt install

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help after Moser-12bolt install

Hey all, First let me say that I have searched and found so many different ideas that my laundry list is getting huge for what to look at/check.
I installed a Moser in the 99TA this weekend, first off let me say what a PITA, I got it all installed and put up on jackstands and start break in, there is a small clicking noise rotational noise sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the drive tunnel. This only happens when under inital torque until the car/driveline is in motion and goes away.
Some say, U-Joint may be a bit too tight. I read some people had to shorten their driveshafts. I am wondering if this is what the clicking is. What is the quickest way to determine this without having to use the DD measure method? One thing everyone say's use Napa-447 crossover U-Joint, mine came with one but it wasnt a 447 part number, and was a different manufacturer than the Napa Precision part, something like a 1153 part #, will have to verify the mfg but it seemed to fit and Napa cross referenced the unit and verified it was a 1350 crossover. After taking off jackstands I noticed the rear sits strangely in the car, from side to side it appears that the driver side tire sticks outside of the wheel well a good 3/4 of an inch and the passenger tire sticks inside the well..Some say they had to purchase an adjustable panhard bar, I am wondering if so and you have solid aftermarket non-adjustable LCA's would the adjustment of the panhard rod even work?
Also people say all you need is 3inch muffler clamps and elongate the mounting holes on the stock bracket...first on most 3in clamps found at autozone, napa, etc. the threaded ends arent long enough to even come close to reaching the clamp, also what about the rubber bushing peice, how do you modify this?
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does sound like the u-joint is too tight, probably dropped a needle bearing in behind it when it was being pressed in.

Don't know why it wouldn't be centered if it was before, is the car lowered ? Are the springs properly seated ?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

It may be that there is a needle bearing is rolling around in there. It was centered before on the 10-bolt. I plan on checking the spring seat this weekend. Do you know if they are supposed to be turned a certain direction on the mount? It baffles me as to what it could be, I plan on putting car on stands this weekend and measuring everything.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the springs do go in with a specific orientation. Get it up high enough that you can look at the upper spring seat, if I remember correctly it slopes down from rear to front, and the rubber thingy should match. Maybe you got them different right to left or left to right ? Only other thing would be if somehow Strange welded the panhard mount in the wrong place. I guess you could measure from the panhard mount to each wheel and compare with the stock rearend.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Moser 12 bolt centered perfectly using the stock panhard bar, so I simply replaced it with the new Spohn Adjustable I had ordered. It came pre-set from Spohn to stock specs. and fit perfectly.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you torque all the bolts without loading up the suspension?

loosen all the suspension bolts up some and lower the car. Bounce it up and down a few times. Make sure the rear is loaded(car's weight) before you torque it down.
Maybe that will help center things. Other than that, the brackets might not be in the right place.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Hey All,
I didn't tighten everything loaded. The springs are for sure on the correct side of car, I have the car on jackstands under the axles and should be able to take a measurement today, and try to loosen and retighten while under load, i wouldnt figure the MOSER would be welded incorrectly since they are all assembled in a jig fixture. I did find out where the clicking crunching noise was coming from. I think my driveshaft is too long now while under the car it was crunching under initial accel. and also when the idle started to lump a bit after a quick blip, I removed the driveshaft started the car again and noise was gone, i only have roughly 3/4 inch or less of travel of the yoke into the transmission tailshaft, does anyone know what it should be?
Thanks