Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

cant figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant figure this out

i cant figure out what gear i have in my car cuz there is no rpo sticker and the car has the 110 mph speedo which means it came with 235's and it has 255's on it now, so i cant really judge the gear by the mph and rpm, however the shiftplate does not have a 1 and would not let me go into first gear but i cut off the rubber stopper so i can now, but ive read that if it only lets u select 2nd gear then it has to be a 2.73 and cant be a 3.23 is this true it would help out greatly. because im thinking about putting in 3.73 and need to know what carrier i have and are the axel splines the same between a series 2 and 3 carrier cuz my posi is shot and i need to replace it too? i just dont want to buy series 3 stuff and the axels dont fit into them?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can jack up the rear. Put it on jack stands. put a chalk mark on the drive shaft and on a tire (inner side). Rotate the tire by turning the drive shaft and count the number of revolutions of the d/s it takes to turn the tire one full revolution. it helps to have reference marks on the body as well.

you really can only have 2.73, 3.23 or 3.42 from the factory. so does it take 2 & 3/4 turns, 3 1/4 or almost 3 1/2 turns (hardest two to tell apart).

if you're going to open up the diff, the gears may be marked. My 3.42's were. you can then count splines if you really want to verify.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZOSO1286
i cant figure out what gear i have in my car cuz there is no rpo sticker and the car has the 110 mph speedo which means it came with 235's and it has 255's on it now, so i cant really judge the gear by the mph and rpm, however the shiftplate does not have a 1 and would not let me go into first gear but i cut off the rubber stopper so i can now, but ive read that if it only lets u select 2nd gear then it has to be a 2.73 and cant be a 3.23 is this true it would help out greatly. because im thinking about putting in 3.73 and need to know what carrier i have and are the axel splines the same between a series 2 and 3 carrier cuz my posi is shot and i need to replace it too? i just dont want to buy series 3 stuff and the axels dont fit into them?
Im almost certain you have a 2.73. If you can go over 90mph in 2nd gear you have a 2.73. My 93 had a 3.23 and it would do 90 in 2nd but only because my rev limiter was raised a little. The 3.23 gears were the performance axle ratio option that I believe was only available with the performance package. Package should have 245/50/16 GSC's, a 150 speedo, and the 1-2-D-OD transmission.